1979 85hp run it, rebuild it or trash it

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 85hp run it, rebuild it or trash it

their prices are posted on this site.
the trim pump exhaust housing and lower unit is at the soda blast shop.
carbs are rebuilt and accessories have been all cleaned up.

deciding on what paint color to use too!

looking into the boyesen reeds but i dont know how many I need? is it one set for each reed block? therfore i need 4 kits? #144 for the 140 hp 4 leaf reed style.
anybody using them now?

pics to come soon of the housings and progress

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check your pm's wayne. I promise you you wont b sorry

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

looking into the boyesen reeds but i dont know how many I need? is it one set for each reed block? therfore i need 4 kits? #144 for the 140 hp 4 leaf reed style.
You will only need one kit as it has 16 set of 1st and 2nd stage reeds.. I myself do not like the boyesens as if carbs are not rejetted a lean pop will ruin a reed and they only last about 2-3 years. The one piece reed that Chris makes is a .018 reed and very responsive and only $80!!!
Johnson Evinrude Sport Outboard Reed 65 140 HP V4 C F | eBay

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

exactly what i pointed out to him faztbullet. CCMS reeds are just great additions to ANY engine

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spoke to the OBR guys reguarding a true 140hp, here is what they said.
the crossflow V4 is the same block for all the HP years from 78 to 85 or so, they use the same heads on all the hp applications they sell.
the bubble back block that they sell replaces the 115 thru 140 hp applications, due to the fact that the 140 was a powerhead rated motor and the 115 is prop rated it will give the same performance.

from reading posts here, it would suggest there is a difference of opinion about a high compression head 140 and a bubble back standard compression head V4.

is or was the 140 really a 140 or just a older over rated 115?

apparently you cant buy a v4 with high compression heads

confused!!

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one of the rebuilders who sels the OBR powerhead has told me that the high compression heads were not specific to the 140, rather specific to certain models. ????????!
it is looking like a reman many not be exactly what i have as far as my 140 goes.
as long as its a bb back with the 1 -5/16 carbs, intake blocks it should be better than my old 1979 85hp is what im told.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok here is the update

midsection and trim pump have been media blaster and chromate primed.

I continued with the block breakdown and found that the center bolt holding the bubble back on to the block it self is stripped and has cracked the block where the threads are. not good the block may be toast....

upon further inspection the exhaust filler block on a different cylinder not the one with a bad ring has a hole that rotted through it. which explains some rust on that cylinder wall. so the bearings and crankcase have had salt water contamination.

I think im going to pass on the 140 reman since i have to use the actual block.

I will say that there is a big difference in the exhaust porting size on the 140 vs my 85hp. much larger ports, larger exhaut cavity.

not sure what im doing but any thoughts appreciated