'59 Lark Head Bolt Issue - Helicoil vs. JB Weld vs ??

Gr8ham

Seaman Apprentice
I've been working on a '59 Lark and a while back sheared a head bolt almost level with the block.

I got a centre punch, drilled it out and ended up slightly off to one side, taking about 1/3 of the original threads with it and leaving a firmly stuck section of bolt in place. Tried prying with sharp objects and eventually managed to use a drillbit to shave off enough to let me work loose what was left of the old bolt.

However, it has left me with a hole that is rather sloppy at the top but with (what I think) are some well-gripping threads at the bottom.

Since this bolt hole is separated from the cylinders by the water chambers am I right in thinking it will not get into the temperature range where JB Weld would fail if I filled the gaps around the top of the bolt with that? Will the head gasket seat correctly and not leak?

Should I just bite the bullet and take it to my local marine shop where they can drill it out and install a helicoil for $80?

Is there another workable option? Could I drill a larger hole, insert a threaded rod and drill and retap that (something like a home-made helicoil)?

This revitalisation project is becoming a rather expensive learning experience! Still fun though.

Thanks for any thoughts.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: '59 Lark Head Bolt Issue - Helicoil vs. JB Weld vs ??

There are some incredibly strong epoxy's/fillers available, JB Weld being one of them.

I have filled the hole with a product similar to JB Weld, I cannot remember the brand off hand but will look it up, and while still wet, tapped the the JB Weld, then left to harden. Once hard, I was able to successfully torque my head bolt again, without stripping the repair.

The problem with a repair like you mentioned with the threaded rod, is if you make a mistake drilling/tapping into the rod, well then you have a big mess to deal with right? Not to say it would not work if you took your time, but there is a bigger chance of a mistake.

You can get a welder to fill the hole, and then drill/tap but you will likely be up around the $80 mark that the marina would charge you to install a heli coil.

I would personally try filling the hole with a quality epoxy, drill and tap it. Worst case scenario you are back to where you were without spending any money, best case scenario your job is done.

Just my 2 cents.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...another option would be to use the spare powerhead I gave you and do a full restoration! :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'll still stick with the heli-coils. There're stronger than the orginial thread.

Gr8ham

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a good plan!

Haha! And the only reason I thought I would try this myself is that I know I have the spare as a back up if I royally *%^ it up!

Another consideration was the serial number tag on the top of the block. If at all possible I'd like to keep the numbers matching and don't see a way to swap those... Have you ever done that?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

They are easy to swap, just plugs.

Gr8ham

Seaman Apprentice

Really? How do you get them out then? Is there a straight shaft somewhere inside that they can be tapped out/tapped back in? I don't recall seeing that covered in the Service Manual!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Welllll, not really supposed to do it I imagine, thats why you will never see it in the service manual. Usually when serial numbers are missing/swapped you think HOT engine. I had a guy try to sell me a newer motor with all serial numbers/model number tags removed once, I discreetly called the police. I think its disgusting how someone would steal a motor that a guy/gal may have taken a while to save for to take his kids fishing/boating/general water fun. Not right.

Anyhoo, they are just a welsh plug, pry em out, tap em back in. Simple and easy. The trick is to get them in/out without it showing later.

Gr8ham

Seaman Apprentice

And is there a trick that will help me do that? A certain diameter gizmo that will allow me to tap them out/in without damage? Can't be as simple as getting a screwdriver down the edge... That would ruin the edge, no?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, meant to put a little happy face beside the "simple and easy" statement.

I find it hard to do it without damaging the plug a bit or the powerhead. I have popped them with finessing an extremely small flat head screwdrive around the exterior, almost a jewelers driver. I scratched the paint, but was painting it anyways. There were others I mangled, so you win some you lose some I guess. I simply mask them now and leave them in.