Looking for recomendation for small tiller steer outboard, 5hp or smaller.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like the title says, need something with neutral, reverse would be good too, but not a have to. I like the omc's but don't know what Im looking for model wise. It is for a 12' jon. One with it's own gas tank. Tried out my 5 hp clinton yesterday and not having a neutral made it kinda scary. Also not really late model, because of cost. any help would be great.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Looking for recomendation for small tiller steer outboard, 5hp or smaller.

I'd go with a 5.5 OMC or 6hp OMC; 3.9 mercs aren't that heavy and have f-n-r, but it's hard to find a good one with good lower unit seals, the cooling systems can be tricky to get sealed just right, and they are so old the powerheads often need a re-ring and hone. It sounds like the 3hp OMC from the 50's or 60's would be ideal for you, but it doesn't have f-n-r. However, they crank so easy and idle so low that I just don't see how you'd need the neutral, and you can spin it around for reverse. The 3hp OMC is also very light.
Then again, I can't imagine the 5hp clinton being real scary, either. Is your boat really narrow?
JMO,
JBJ

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it is just the way I had it set up. mounted in the center with a swivel seat in the center. going to move motor to the port and remove the seat and set on bench. I've never had a tiller steer before so the scary part was when I started it while still being tied to dock. won't do that again.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi ron. Don't move the motor off the centerline of the boat, or you'll end up going in large circles and be constantly battling to keep it straight. You will end up sitting a little off to one side while sitting and using it, but that's perfectly normal. Just find a motor with FWD, NEU, REV so you can idle in place, if need be. Tillers are a timeless, great design and just take a little getting used to. Anything up to about 10-15 hp should move you along nicely. You can even make an inexpensive tiller extender out of PVC which will allow you to sit, stand and more your weight around more easily.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I agree with jbjennings. A 5.5 or 6 would be a good motor. If you want one with a built on tank, get one of the old Buccaneers or Sea Kings. They have the F-N-R and they have the built on tank. Then you just need to tank an extra gallon or two, to get you back. out for a few more hours.

nwcove

Admiral

why the need for an internal tank? ive always found them a bit of a pain, as you need to carry extra fuel for a day on the water anyway. an early 80's 4.5hp is a nice little motor, fnr, external tank, or a late 60's/early 70's 6hp would serve you well either motor should be easy to find and cheap!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

True, but 1 gallon is a lot lighter weight than a 4 or 6 gallon. An early 80's 4hp full shift won't be cheap.

If it was me, I would run my 1955 JW-11 on it, or 1.5hp Sportsman. 12 foot Jon boats aren't really rated for anything bigger than that.

nwcove

Admiral

i guess cheap is a relative term, but for around $300 you should be able to find an early 80's omc 4.5 or 4hp deluxe with fnr, and a 2.5 imp/g tank. or for less, an older 6hp with fnr and buy a the small tank? however, if the boat is at a remote spot , and you need to carry your motor/fuel and gear, you cant beat a well tuned 60's era lightwin !!