62 Gale electric start issue

Bill Gordon

Cadet
I looked through the archives of old threads and did what I could from what I learned but now I'm stumped. I have a 62' Gale electric/manual start outboard. I can't get the outboard to crank at all. I replaced the keyed switch, solenoid, and sistered wires to see if there was a break. The motor will start manually if I turn the key on and turn off with the key also. I can also start it by jumping the solenoid. What am I missing? The motor would start by key last year but would not this spring. Would a break in one of the black magneto wires effect it at all or a fuse somewhere? Thanks, Bill

Bill Gordon

Cadet
Re: 62 Gale electric start issue

Also if I'm able to jump the solenoid and start the engine would this mean the solenoid is bad, even though it is a brand new solenoid?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What size motor is this, what model number?

If the Big Twin, if you take the black lead off going to cutout switch, mercury switch and ground them to the block, will it now fire?

Have you tested the solenoid? Connect leads from the battery to the 2 small posts, you should hear an audible click, and if you put a meter across the large posts it should show continuity.

Bill Gordon

Cadet

Have to try them in the morning. Is the mercury switch lead test worth doing if the motor runs fine? I just have to pull start it with the key to the on position. Does it matter which leads from the battery I run to the 2 small posts? I'm guessing you just want to make a circuit through the solenoid. Thanks, Bill

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The mercury switch provides ground for starting circuit when level. When the throttle is not positioned at START, or the mercury switch is defective, she will not start.

Irrelevant which leads go to the solenoid, either from the battery or from your meter to the large posts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You said you have replaced the solenoid. Did you replace it with a car solenoid? If you did, you blew the mercury switch. Now you have two problems. Not only that, the tests High Trim suggested won't work either.

So, lets get back to the beginning and let us know what we are dealing with. Better yet, put the original solenoid back in there, and get back with us and we can tell you how to do some sensible, orderly tests to locate the problem.

EDIT: I just checked, and the '62 does not have a mercury switch. It has a switch below the magneto armature plate that is activated by throttle position. Still prone to instant destruction if you send a direct 12v whallop to it (as a car solenoid will do)

Bill Gordon

Cadet

I'm sure it has an automotive solenoid in it. I'll find the old one if I can and try again. Thanks, Bill

Bill Gordon

Cadet

OK the old solenoid is back in and still nothing. My circuit tester will light when I touch the large studs on the solenoid wether the key is in the on or off position. Would the safety switch have blown even before the starter engaged after I put in the wrong solenoid? Bill

Also would it have been possible I burned out the safety switch using a battery with low charge, to the point the motor would turn over a few times then the battery was too low to turn it anymore? Last year after I bought the boat and got it running it would start fine with the original parts but the battery was old and would need to be charged more and more until it just wouldnt turn over the motor at all. It's possible the issue started here but I attributed it all to the old battery and just pull started it for the fall.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, the motor will crank if you jump the solenoid. That means the starter and ground are ok. Now you need to find out why the solenoid won't do it. You say you have a 12V circuit tester (a light, I assume?)

There are two small terminals on the solenoid. Check for voltage on each of them as somebody turns the key to the start position. There should be 12V on one and zero on the other, and the solenoid should click. Are those the results you get? If yes, then check the voltages on the the two big solenoid terminals WHILE IT IS CLICKED. You should get nominal battery voltage of about 12V. If you have battery voltage on the battery cable side of the solenoid, but not on the starter side of the solenoid. the solenoid is bad (unlikely). If low or no voltage on the battery side, check your battery and battery connections. Matter of fact, battery connections should have been the FIRST thing you checked. Don't just look at them, take them apart and clean them shiny bright, then reassemble tightly.

OK, back to the solenoid. If it did NOT click, and you have no voltage on either small terminal, check the fuse, wiring, and key switch to see what is preventing electricity from getting to the solenoid when you turn the key. If it did NOT click, and you have voltage on BOTH small terminals, there is a problem with the safety switch or wiring between the solenoid and safety switch. A quick diagnostic test is to ground the safety switch wire. If it cranks, the safety switch is burned up or being held open by the throttle.

This is a condensed version of the tests. Hopefully by now the problem has been located. If not, come back with the exact results you got and we will take it from there.

Bill Gordon

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get back to you when I get it working. Bill