Changed gear oil...is this right?

OGG

Cadet
I winterized my '03 Johnson 90hp outboard yesterday and I followed the instructions to a T. I drianed the old gear oil and pumped in new from the bottom up. Waited for airbubbles and gave another pump and waited again. I then put the vent plug back on and gave one last pump of gear oil into the lower unit. I then proceeded to remove the pump and place the drain plug back on and some gear oil leaked out, rain out quite fast. My father said that the pressure from the new gear oil in the lower unit probably forced some of itself back out. I hurried up and put the drain plug back on nice and tight but some of it came out. I do not know what a lot is but is it normal to have some leak out and if so will or is there still enough in my lower unit where it will be okay?? I do not think a lot came out but again I do not know what a lot is. Any help would be greatful.
Thank you,
A new owner of a '99 Nitro 640 lx

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Changed gear oil...is this right?

ya little will drip out, after i tighten the drain screw i usually just put a little in the top to top off what may have drizzled out.

OGG

Cadet

I thought I wasnt supposed to reopen the vent plug after filling from the bottom!? I know that if I open the vent plug it will allow air in and the engine will be sitting throughout the winter. Should I put a little more in from the top like you suggest? I dont think I lost a whole lot but I am sure that if it was at level when I had the pump hooked up, it can't be at level when some came out when putting the drain plug back in.

kfa4303

Banned

You can top it off through the vent hole if you want, but you don't really need to. You're not so much worried about air getting in there as water being trapped in the gear case. If the water should freeze, it will expand and possibly crack the housing, but it all you have in there is oil and air, you'll be fine.

....I then put the vent plug back on and gave one last pump of gear oil into the lower unit....

That's why you saw some oil rush out, with the vent plug in any air in the top of the gearcase has nowhere to go and gets compressed slightly. When you removed the pump from the bottom hole that little bit of pressure tried to force out that last pump of oil. I've just always pumped till some flows out the drain, put in the drain plug, and then as quickly as I can remove the pump and put the plug in the bottom hole. Plus or minus a teaspoon of oil is no big deal.

daselbee

Commander

Isn't that just the messiest job? It is one of my least favorite tasks....but must be done.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Little bit of oil lost in par for the course, but when done correctly should be minimal.

First off, ALWAYS change the gaskets. They are a 1 time use, no matter how good they "look".

Second, fully remove both plugs, let the oil drain, then thread your pump into the BOTTOM hole, or drain hole. Pump until oil exits the TOP hole, or vent hole, replave the vent screw, creating a vaccuum to allow you to now remove the pump and quickly reinstall the bottom drain screw. All done.

OGG

Cadet

High trim, the gaskets on the plugs were made of a type of plastic, not a rubbery substance like the ones I picked up in the store. They were not brittle or worn so I just used them in the same manner, hopefully they will be good for another year of fishing, or more. Should I unscrew the vent plug and put more gear oil that way or do I need to redo the whole procedure? I do not think more than a tablespoon and a half pushed out the bottom plug. I appreciate all the help I can get from all of you on here, it is definitely a new and kind of cool thing being able to do this stuff on my own with all your help. Much appreciative and any other advise is helpful. I also fogged the engine. Is there any other thing I might be forgetting to do for winter storage? The prop spun just fine and I did not feel that it needed pulled and regreased however if it is a must do thing then I may do it in the spring.
Thanks again and any other advice would be helpful!
-OGG

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the washers are made of nylon and are called "crush" washers. When you tighten them they take form, and should only be used once. They are cheap enough that there is no need to reuse them for an annual chore.

After I fog, I usually remove the plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders, then spin the flywheel to distribute it into the cylinders. I also mist the block with WD40 to keep corrosion at bay. Running the motor before fogging with stabilizer keeps the fuel in the carb and fuel lines from causing issues in the spring.

If only a spoonful fell out, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

nwcove

Admiral

the nylon washers on the plugs are a "one use" item and when they get re-used they can be a very common source of water intrusion. ( im guilty of re-using them myself tho) the washers are cheap insurance, and you can get them here on iboats. ( buy a pkg or two). a tbsp or two loss isnt a cause for concern, and once you change the gear oil a few times you will get good at it and only loose a tiny amount. just curious....but what are the "rubbery substance" gaskets you bought at a hardware store?....dont use them but are they something more meant for a faucet?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi OGG. I would use the proper white nylon crush washers too. When it comes to winterizing, you're mostly just trying to eliminate water collecting in either the engine cylinders and/or gearcase which is why you want to make sure they're both well bathed in oil. Otherwise, it sounds like you've done everything right. Nothing to do now, but ride out the winter. If all goes well, she should fire right up and be good to go in the Spring. Oh, and think of a cool winter project to tinker away on :)

OGG

Cadet

Hightrim,
I have fogged the cylinders but did not fog the whole engine (outside) I will do that before it gets cold for sure! Thanks for the advice!.

Nwcove,
The washers were white and did not look like they were bad so I put them right back the way I found them. However, if your mentioning that they are "one time use" only then I will have to redue the whole process. Right? I still have some oil and can refill what I lose when I replace the washers if it is a necessity that I replace those washers. The washers that I have are black and are OMC (which is Johnson) they look like little "O" ring gaskets. The package says lower unit drain plug washers. Should I just go ahead and replace after I have already put them back on or could I wait until spring since I have already put the boat in storage for the winter (and it is about an hour away from my current location).

Kfa 4303,
Thank you for the help. I have not found the "White" crush washers at the local boat store (West Marine). However they did have OMC drain plug washers...they were black and looked like little "O" rings.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nah, she is fine for the winter, let her sleep :)