water in gear oil

thebulldog

Seaman Apprentice
Ahoy Mates !
i have the water in the gear oil, 1986 Evinrude 90 hp outboard,
wheres the most likely place it comes in from ?
and what parts needed, i drain every fall so the water wont freeze causing crack damage,
but what risks and damage would i have if i put in fresh oil and use it during the summer while it takes in water ?

Many Thanks in advance, the next round is on me !

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in gear oil

Well alot of times the drain and vent screw washers, they are crush washers and are a 1 time use. Do you change them?

If not there, could be from a number of seals such as drive shaft seal, prop shaft seal, etc... If it is only minimal intrusion, changing the oil, using synthetic oil should be fine. If heavy, may need a re seal.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What HT said. Nit pick is that they are gaskets, not washers.

thebulldog

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Mates
yes after close inspection , my eyes not what they used to be,
yes they are ready for the bin (trash)
i will go get a six pack of each, Cheers !
Many Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

OGG

Cadet

I just changed my Lower Unit Gear oil yesterday and looked (inspected) the washers that were on my vent and drain plugs to the lower unit. Both were made of a harder plastic...not made of the same material??? I looked at the ones already on the drain and vents and neither seemed to be cracked, broken or worn. So i took the other washers (OMC) back to the store. Also, I have a question and do not mean to hyjack this thread, but when I changed my gear oil, I followed the directions to a T. When I went to put the drain plug back in some gear oil was forced out the bottom before I could get the plug back in. Not a lot but I really do not know what a lot is since this is my first boat and my first time doing this. I am just worried that the level of gear oil might not be high enough since some of the oil leaked out while I was putting the drain plug back in. Is this an area I should be concerned with. I know that there is pressure in the lower unit because I waited for all the air to get out and then tightened the vent and gave one last pump of gear oil before replacing the drain plug. Did I do something wrong?? Or am I good for next spring to fire it right up and not have to worry about my lower unit?

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just changed my Lower Unit Gear oil yesterday and looked (inspected) the washers that were on my vent and drain plugs to the lower unit. Both were made of a harder plastic...not made of the same material??? I looked at the ones already on the drain and vents and neither seemed to be cracked, broken or worn. So i took the other washers (OMC) back to the store. Also, I have a question and do not mean to hyjack this thread, but when I changed my gear oil, I followed the directions to a T. When I went to put the drain plug back in some gear oil was forced out the bottom before I could get the plug back in. Not a lot but I really do not know what a lot is since this is my first boat and my first time doing this. I am just worried that the level of gear oil might not be high enough since some of the oil leaked out while I was putting the drain plug back in. Is this an area I should be concerned with. I know that there is pressure in the lower unit because I waited for all the air to get out and then tightened the vent and gave one last pump of gear oil before replacing the drain plug. Did I do something wrong?? Or am I good for next spring to fire it right up and not have to worry about my lower unit?

Probably best to start your own thread..... You'll get better exposure ensuring some answers to your questions.

JMO....

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably best to start your own thread..... You'll get better exposure ensuring some answers to your questions.

JMO.... :)

thebulldog

Seaman Apprentice

I think he get confused easily !
Cheers, the next round is on OGG, make mine a double !