88 Johnson 110hp Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pahoo

Recruit
While winterizing my boat ('90 Forester Diva 1800) today I noticed that the plugs were showing signs of wear. My plan is to get new plugs now, and store them with the boat key so I don't forget to change them next spring when I pull them to clean out the fogging oil.

My manual recommends Champion QL77JC4 or L77CJC4 @ .040, or QUL77V for sustained high speed. I have three questions about this:

1. What is considered 'sustained high speed'? I don't troll with the motor at all, and I occasionally take my grandkids out tubing for an hour or two. Would you recommend the QUL77V for this?

2. All the current charts I've seen show a .030 gap for the Q/L77JC4 plugs. If I stick with this plug, should I be using this instead of .040?

3. None of the spark plug charts I've found online list the 110HP motor. They all go from 100 to 115. Should I feel left out?

Thanks. :)

Pahoo

Recruit
Re: 88 Johnson 110hp Spark Plugs

I'll be darned.. I had to search the .PDF but I found it.

I don't feel so left out anymore! :D

mark1961

Ensign

If for the most part you use your boat for ski/tubing that would be considering sustained high speed use.....you could use either type of plug.....the conventional design is for allround use, the surface gap design are more prone to fouling during prolonged low speed use, trolling etc.

Pahoo

Recruit

Thanks Mark.. I use my boat mainly for fishing, but I'm normally drifting or anchored. I don't troll with this motor, but I seem to spend a lot of time idling while I wait at the launch area for boaters who have apparently never put a boat on a trailer before. Tubing is limited to only a few times a year. This thing is a gas guzzler at WOT!

The chart you posted recommends QL77JC4 or QL82C. I think I'll try the hotter (82) plugs since I'm probably running at relatively low head temperatures. It would only take a couple of minutes to change plugs for a day of tubing.

PDRM0002.jpg

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The 110s are real. I gots a pair of em.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

The 110s are real. I gots a pair of em.

I've run a '87 110 for 4 yrs now- When i fist got it i asked here "Why don't i ever read anything about this yr/mdl motor"?
The 1st reply was "They're that good" :D

BOAT023.jpg

Pahoo

Recruit

I have to agree that they're a good motor. I've had this boat & motor for 10 years now and it's never failed me.

MotorMan101

Seaman
Wondering what conclusion was from trying both types? I have a 1987, 110 Johnson motor and am in same dilemma...

MOD EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads and feel free to start a new thread about your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.