Thrust Bearing on 1965 johnson seahorse

ktewell

Recruit
I am rebuilding a 1965 johnson seahorse. I have taking apart the lower gear case and it didn't have a thrust bearing. I looked on the diagram and it shows one. But, I don't know how it goes on. The shaft with the gear on it stops right at the end of the gear so you can't put it on the shaft. Does it just sit inside the gear case some how?

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thrust Bearing on 1965 johnson seahorse

It sits in the front side of the gear case. And goes in only one way.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It more than likely is in there. Otherwise, the gears will be noisy and wear severely

With the drive shaft removed, can you get the pinion gear out? If not, the thrust bearing is in there. To remove it, give the gearcase a whack on the workbench, propshaft end down.

ktewell

Recruit

I have taken the gears all out. They don't look worn and thier was no oil in there either. I don't think the motor has been run in awhile. So what do you mean by "It sits in the front side of the gear case" So, it isn't attached to a shaft? It just sits it there loose?

lindy46

Captain

The gear and pinion butt up against it and it holds them in position. I believe it is made of plastic or nylon, from what I recall. It fits in a recess in the front of the gearcase.