How to adjust "idle" on my 115 johnson

Banner Pub

Cadet
I have a 1999 Johnson 115 Oceanrunner. It runs perfect, I love it. I just have a problem with the "idle" RPM's.

I don't know what it should be but it is at 1000 rpms and I think it is too high. I have always had I/O's and kept their idle at about 550 to 600 rpms. What is the correct setting? And how do I adjust it?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to adjust "idle" on my 115 johnson

The idle should be around 600 in gear. Look in the sticky at the top of this forum for your particular motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Banner, I believe your motor's idle speed is set by idle timing. First check to see that the throttle cable closes the carbs all the way. If so, get a Service manual and double check idle and max timing.

BTW - I once found a piece of wire from the voltage regulator was holding the timing a bit advanced. Had same symptoms you have.

Banner Pub

Cadet

I'm new to this forum. I don't know what or where the "sticky" is. Thanks for the rpm in gear setting.

Banner Pub

Cadet

Banner, I believe your motor's idle speed is set by idle timing. First check to see that the throttle cable closes the carbs all the way. If so, get a Service manual and double check idle and max timing.

BTW - I once found a piece of wire from the voltage regulator was holding the timing a bit advanced. Had same symptoms you have.

Hi Chris1956: I'll check the throttle cable tomorrow. It could be out of sink. The shifter cable was W A Y O U T of sink and I corrected it (my first post). I fish Barnegat Bay, the inlet, and Barnegat Reef. Love the area.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was referring to the Top Secret File at the top of the Johnson/Evinrude repair forum.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you set the idle speed make sure the mtr is in the water for proper back pressure. Don't do it on muffs.

When you set the idle speed make sure the mtr is in the water for proper back pressure. Don't do it on muffs.

Also, the manual specifies idle speed with the engine in gear with the boat underway. On most engines idle speed should be between about 650 and 850 as I recall.