Oil leak in lower unit

mpete1486

Recruit
Ok guys I'm having a problem with my 1989 2 cylinder 88 Special Evinrude. Was out boating over the weekend and hit something. Had a slight crack at the forward tip of the gearcase that was leaking a small amount of oil. I was able to fix it with JB Weld and it seems to be fixed. But I have also discovered that I have oil leaking around the prop that doesn't smell like unburned fuel. What could be causing this? From what I've read could I have busted prop seal? Would I be able to determine this by removing the prop? Is this something that can be replaced without major problems or expense? I have attached a couple of photos to try and give an idea of what I'm talking about.IMAG0078.jpgIMAG0074.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil leak in lower unit

Gear oil has a distinctive sulfer-like smell. If the oil smells like gas or regular oil, it is likely 2 cycle oil.

BTW - a 88HP motor is not a 2 cylinder.

Shady Grady 623

Recruit

Chris you are right its a 4 cyl 2 stroke and by the sound of it he may have a bad prop shaft seal

Chad N

Cadet

Probably just oil built up and leaking out. Seals may definately be the issue. Run a pressure and vacuum test on the lower unit. 14 psi for several minutes, 7 psi indefinately, and 4inHG indefinately.

Shady Grady 623

Recruit

Remove the prop to see if its leaking around the prop shaft or the case either way you will end up spending around 80 bucks for the kit hope this helps

mpete1486

Recruit

Is the seal replacement something that someone of decent intelligence can do? I've been trying to find information online as to how I can go about doing it but have had limited success. Does it require any special tools? Haven't worked on a lower unit before other than replacing a water impeller. Just talked to a guy at a local shop who said he wouldn't just replace the seals because I had cracked the front of the cone and repaired with jb weld. He said it would never hold and that I would need to replace the housing. Said I was looking at $3000 for him to do it. I don't have the income for that kind of work.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it's just a prop shaft seal, you should not have too much of a problem repairing it yourself. You need to take the part that is behind the prop off (usualy held on with screws on most motors) and push the old seal out from the back side, and put the new seal in from the front which is right behind the prop. Nothing really much to it. The mechanic is probably right though in saying the JB weld will not hold, but the thing can be welded (I think) which would be much cheaper than replacing the gear housing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Find a good welder and and it can be done.