1957 Johnson seahorse 35 HP Stars and Dies

Woodypete

Cadet
I have a 1957 Johnson Seahorse 35 Hp.

Warning: I am a newbie to this

The motor has been sitting around unused for at least 20 years, and after having had it apart (it was surprisingly clean except for the LU), replacing the impeller, lower unit seals and bearings and cleaning the carb(although not done as thoroughly as recommended in the FAQ here) I tried starting it today. After a few pulls to my great surprise I managed to get it started, however after about 10 or 15 seconds the engine dies. I have new plugs and the compression seems to be very good, and when working it is firing on both cylinders

After further reading tonight, it would appear that I should replace the coils since it is so old and would likely be in poor shape, but would this be the reason for it to die like this?

Simon

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1957 Johnson seahorse 35 HP Stars and Dies

There should be a cover plate on the top of the flywheel, take it off and take a look at the coils. If they are cracked replace them and everything else under there for good measure.

Yes you can get spark with bad coils, some run longer than others.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, like 64osby says. If it has sat for 20 years, it's likely the coils are the originals and are toast. I would replace the spark plug leads and condensors too. The points can probably be cleaned up and used for several more years. The carb may need re-kitted as well.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not familiar with that particular motor, but probably that carb also has two adjustable needles. Chances are there are misadjusted. If the needles and seats are worn, following the factory recommended procedure for adjustment might not work. Open the needles from closed by quarter turns and see if the engine stays running. Change them by quarter turns. If you found the spots where the engine keeps running, follow the factory instructions for adjustments.

Good luck, Peter

Woodypete

Cadet

Thanks for the help.

I discovered the iBoats parts catalogue on the site, and it seems as though I can get just about all that I need. One thing is for sure, I'm going to get the electric starter working, I'm feeling very sore this morning!

Simon

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Zephyr and osby, replace everything under the flywheel, all new hoses, and a fuel pump kit, and a carb kit, plug wires. After covering all that it should run after getting carb adjusted. Fixing one problem at a time makes you more efficient at pulling flywheel, tearing down carb, but can be frustrating. Just my limited experience. Good luck! You should be able to get great advice here and these members enjoy helping you out.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Woody. Great old motor you've got there. Here are some great links that will help you bring that old "Big Twin" back to life. You really only need 3 things to get them running; compression (above 80 psi. in each cylinder), spark (should jump a 1/4" gap while using a proper gap tester on Champion J6C plugs), fuel (24:1 mix: 5.5 US fl. oz. of marine 2-stroke outboard motor oil to 1 US gallon of 87 octane gasoline). Confirm each of these aspects individually before attempting another restart. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377023/37702300001.htm (complete parts catalog with exploded diagrams of your entire motor)

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm (great all-around maintenance link)

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm (great ignition rebuild link. It's for a different model than yours, but all of the steps are the same)

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm (great carb rebuil link. Again, for a different model, but all the steps are the same as yours)

Good luck. Keep us posted.