No spark 89 200 Evinrude

I see there is another thread on here for the same year motor with a similar problem. Here are my symptoms and what I have done so far to troubleshoot.

Took the boat out this weekend and while trying to start at the ramp prior to launch she would not say running. Pulled it back up the ramp and noticed water in the gas. I drained the fuel/water separator and launched her again. This time a little better but it still kept shutting off after running about 10 seconds at a time. I decided I would try to run the water out of it hoping it was just a small bit left in the carbs. She launched really good, immediately went up on plane and slowly died out. I emptied the fuel/water separator and run her up on plane again and like before it would die out after a short time (30 seconds or so). I went through this exercise about 10 times, each time I did see water in the fuel/water separator but it became less and less. The last time I tried to start back up it would just spin over and not even a sputter. I thought that either the plugs were fouled or the battery was at a point where it wasn't spinning enough RPM's to provide ignition. So got a tow back to the ramp.

Now to this week. Testing shows no voltage to any plugs during starting.

I pulled the flywheel and checked the magnets and key. All magnets are secure and not damaged.

I checked and cleaned all grounds and connections.

Following the CDI troubleshooting instructions (pg 52 1988-2001 185-250 w/Quickstart NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER)
#1 Check for Stop circuit - Passed (Still no spark)
#2 Rectifier test - Passed (Still no spark)
#3 Cranking RPM - I don't have a way to check RPM's but I have tried two brand new batteries and RPM's appear to be fine with no dragging.
#4 Grounds - As stated above have been checked.
#5 Check stator and timer base resistance and DVA output as given below for BOTH banks:
Brown to Brown/Yellow - Resistance 900-1100 (actual 980), DVA (Connected) 150-400v (Actual 0v while cranking), DVA (Disconnected) 150-400v (Actual 0v while cranking)

So I stopped there. I checked the connections many times and they appeared to be good. I was confused that there was no voltage. Does this mean my stator is bad?

Thanks,
Steve

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: No spark 89 200 Evinrude

You are saying O volts "AC" when cranking when checking the two brown wires.

I was measuring it DC oops. I checked it AC and I get 4.8v. Something still dont look right considering according to the CDI chart it's supposed to be 150-400v.

I connect one end to each male pin coming out of the stator two prong plug. Brown on one wire and brown/yellow on the other. I checked both sides and get the same reading.

I am using a Fluke meter with a DVA.

Steve

Here are some resistance readings

Brown to Brown/Yellow 840
Orange to Orange/Black 100
White to purple 90
White to Blue 87
White to Green 117
White to Purple (2nd connector) 71
White to Blue (2nd connector) 71
White to Green (2nd connector) 96
White to Black/White 219

To these resistance readings look like they are in spec?

Steve

Some things I tried today.

I replaced the Stator, Timing base, and power pack with a known good set. Still no spark.....

I checked voltage on the yellow wire w/red stripe and was getting 9vdc during cranking.

I am really at a loss guys. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If I need to start over with my troubleshooting I would be glad to. I just don't know what to try next short of paying out some $$$ for someone else to fix it.

Thanks,
Steve

daselbee

Commander

Some things I tried today.

I replaced the Stator, Timing base, and power pack with a known good set. Still no spark.....

I checked voltage on the yellow wire w/red stripe and was getting 9vdc during cranking.

I am really at a loss guys. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If I need to start over with my troubleshooting I would be glad to. I just don't know what to try next short of paying out some $$$ for someone else to fix it.

Thanks,
Steve

Should be 12v. That 12v is straight from the keyswitch. Get a jumper and jump from the +12v pole of the starter solenoid to the yellow/red wire.

EDIT: Jumping as I describe will cause the starter to engage and the engine to turn over. Be careful.

daselbee

Commander

Here are some resistance readings

Brown to Brown/Yellow 840
Orange to Orange/Black 100
White to purple 90
White to Blue 87
White to Green 117
White to Purple (2nd connector) 71
White to Blue (2nd connector) 71
White to Green (2nd connector) 96
White to Black/White 219

To these resistance readings look like they are in spec?

Steve

You are supposed to have TWO pairs of brown wires. I see only one pair listed with it's resistance reading, and it is probably OK, a bit low, but it depends upon how much DVA voltage it is generating. Both brown pairs should be getting up there...about 150v DVA to 400v DVA. Don't worry about the purple, blue and green wires. They signal spark to the individual cylinders. You have a no spark on all six issue.

Thanks Daselbee, the resistance on both sides of the brown-brown/yellow were withing a few numbers of each other. Ill try the jumper you recommended tomorrow. I really appreciate the reply, I need to get this thing fixed, it causing me not to sleep very well constantly thinking about what to try next.

Here is more test data

Brown to Brown/Yellow
resistance readings-------820(port side) 825(stbd side)
DVA Connected-----------4.5VAC(Port side) 4.6VAC (Stbd side)
DVA Disconnected -------110VAC(Port side) 112VAC (Stbd side)
Orange to Orange/Black
resistance reading--------98
DVA Connected ----------.98VAC
DVA Disconnected--------44VAC

I then replaced my stator with what I was told was a good stator. Here are the numbers from that test.

Brown to Brown/Yellow
resistance readings-------825(port side) 796(stbd side)
DVA Connected-----------1.8VAC(Port side) 4.7VAC (Stbd side)
DVA Disconnected -------113VAC(Port side) 115VAC (Stbd side)
Orange to Orange/Black
resistance reading--------100
DVA Connected ----------2VAC
DVA Disconnected--------46VAC

Hey Daselbee, I tried the jumper test you mentioned and received no improvement. I have 12.5VDC at the +terminal of the starter solenoid but it drips to 9-10VDC during cranking. Again this is a brand new battery I just purchased during this troubleshooting. 1000CCA Exide battery.

Im still very confused. Either I have two bad stators or there is something else going on. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Problem solved! I replaced just the power pack and now it firing again! Thanks to all who replied.

Steve