Experiencing some unusual carb troubles...

atomic912s

Cadet
To start off my outboard is a 1984 Evinrude 50hp motor..
Things I have done, checked spark, new coil, compression, lines/new gas, new plugs.

So my outboard has been running a little funky, found out the carbs were out of sync so got those back on track. It idles and runs great on the hose, but when I drop it in the water it lacks power. WOT and the motor feels like it is at 35-40% power, doesn't even plain the boat out.

One thing I noticed, with the motor running,
if I place my hand over the top carb the engine will die.
if I place my hand over the bottom carb the engine will rev way up!!

Also when the boat is in the water, I noticed if I tighten the middle screw that holds the filter in place on the fuel pump, and give it WOT the motor will rev up for a split second and go back down.

Has anyone else experienced complications like this. Any advice or sugestions very much appreciated!!

Thank you to everyone in advance

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Experiencing some unusual carb troubles...

Is the suction on your hand even on the top and bottom carb?

atomic912s

Cadet

From what I remember I put my hand over it correctly.

But I did dome looking around in the carb and noticed that the orfice part number 0327342 was missing in both carbs, I think this is the high speed jet?? I just inherited this motor, so some yo yo must have forgotten to put them back in?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I was just wondering if the suction was even as if it was uneven it would indicate that one cylinder at least has a problem with intake manifold vacuum.
Sorry i cant answer the jet question but it seems like a great lead.

atomic912s

Cadet

Yeah, I bought some jets on ebay and put them in, then I decided to splurge and rebuild the two carbs with a kit. The old carb parts gaskets were pretty worn, replaced all the carb components with the carb kit. Dumped the good old boat in the water today and she took off like a criminal on a high speed chase!!!!!!!!!