Where should I set the knobs and levers on the engine to start it?

biggstu24

Cadet
Hey guys. I have a 1963? Johnson 40hp Super Seahorse. I have gotten the engine started but that was 2 years ago and the service manual has been misplaced. My question is what are the knobs and levers on the engine. I have forgotten. I think one is the rich and lean setting and one may be the choke. Is that correct and are there anymore.
When I go to start the engine where should these instruments be set? Should they be adjusted as the engine gets warm? Im in central VA so the temps are still warm.
Pictures if avalible would be awsome.
Thanks all.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where should I set the knobs and levers on the engine to start it?

Is it set up as a tiller or a remote control?

Regarding the carb, there will be a low speed needle and a high speed needle. Both once set should not need adjusting. The choke knob is pulled out for cold starts, but will not be needed once the motor is warmed up.

The initial static setting for the needles is 1.5 turns out from seated for the low (upper) and 3/4 turn out from seated for the high (lower).

Fine tuning from there is done on the water. Check the FAQS for info on this.

biggstu24

Cadet

What do you mean tiller or remote?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you steer it with a steering wheel, and shift/throttle from a remote control, OR do you steer with a tiller arm off the motor and shift/throttle from the motor.

biggstu24

Cadet

Oh duh lol. Sorry. Steering wheel.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok then if the needles are set, simply pump the primer bulb in the fuel line, hold the choke switch and turn the key for a cold start. When warm, choke will not be necessary.

biggstu24

Cadet

Very good. Thanks boss