1992 johnson 140 hp carburetor promblem

elmostro

Cadet
johnson 140 hp, 1992 , ethenol damaage the gas line en the primer fuel solanoid , I replaced the P fuel solanid and I clean the carburetor trought the screw inthe front of eachone of them but the motor won't start;if it does it turn off by itself. do I have to rebuild the carbuletors?

elmostro

Cadet
Re: 1992 johnson 140 hp carburetor promblem

I'm sorry but , I don't what are the jets, can you tell me please?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

No worries,they are the tiny holes/or needles where the fuel comes out into the carburettor bore(hole in the middle where air sucks into the engine). They are very tiny so often clog up. You can get at them by removing the float bowls and blowing down compressed air or sticking a pin up or similar to check they a clear but be careful to not damage them

elmostro

Cadet

oh. now I know what you are talking about, thanks, i'll do that. do I need to replace the float or I can use the same one?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You should be able to keep it just check everything very clean

elmostro

Cadet

I cleaned all 4 carb and the gasket on the side were cracked on three of them.
do you think that was the problem? again thank you so much.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

It might be, did you check the tiny jet holes?

elmostro

Cadet

that was the problem, I just installed the new kits on the carburetor and the runs good,
I think I need to adjust the carbs, the motor sound a litter high, but I have no idea how to
do that.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Thats good that that fix has got it going now. I dont have that motor so i cant comment on adjusting the carbs but since you have fixed the problem of leaking gaskets it will be running richer to what it has done previously. Check your timing as well, an advanced timing will cause a higher speed idle.

You will probably find an article on how to adjust the carbs and the timing in the topsecret files at the top of the main page