Rebuild vs Repower? Advice on blown 97 Ocean Runner

martyweir

Cadet
Hey all, need expert opinion / advice on my 97 Johnson Ocean Runner for background see this post: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=576947
Short and sweet: Hole in crankcase, likely connecting rod issue maybe piston skirt.

I found a guy around me that rebuilds outboards: http://www.oneoutboard.com/

Plan A: My plan was to yank the power head and pull the crank case to try to determine the cause of the hole in the crank case and proceed from there. If it's just a con rod pulled out of the piston, and there is no severe damage, I believe I could fix it - if I can find someone to weld the crank case correctly. If it's toast in there, then I will have to find someone to clean up my mess for me: Total cost: no idea- I could get off cheap - new con rod, new piston maybe, some gaskets, weld the crank case, prob another $1K I didn't account for LOL!

Plan B: Understandably, this shop wants the boat and motor intact so he can yank the power head himself and rebuild it, reassemble, break it in, warrant the motor. He says it takes 6 hours to do the whole rebuild (?). They offer a 1 year warranty standard, 5 year for extra $$. Total cost is $3650 with core charge.

Alternative: I guess I could sell this motor or part it out and buy another used motor and hope this doesn't happen again, or buy something rebuilt which will easily be twice as much as rebuilding this motor.

What would you do in my shoes with limited outboard mechanical experience? I do know cars, motorcycles, tractors, but not outboards.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Rebuild vs Repower? Advice on blown 97 Ocean Runner

its true the 60 degree loopers have a blind hole and needs special honing machines to do properly.... I sent mine to a guy who bores and hones blocks for many outboard rebuilders. he has th specialty equipment...but what a headache though rebuilding the motor..there are several special tools.

youll spend many many more hours than the 6 that company talks about...and you wont be so sure of yourself..and you will warranty your own work with your own funds to do it again...if it fails..

and for what?? to save $1500-$2000???????????

less if you consider all your wasted time and worrying

If thats the company i had heard about......it wasnt good.....it was also from Pa.

buyer beware......warranties are good though.....how many hours would you put on your motor in a year???

you might not even test the warranty!!

bob

daselbee

Commander

Google oneoutboard. See the horror stories.

martyweir

Cadet

Bob Jones: That's what I'm thinking as well. Not worth the time I don't have...

Daselbee - I read a few bad reviews on their facebook page after posting this... Looks like more bad than good in the end. Can anyone recommend a good place to take it within a few hundred miles of PGH PA that has a good reputation?

martyweir

Cadet

Anyone ever used a remfg'd power head from Crowley Marine? Seems like another option...

daselbee

Commander

I am interested in what you are actually looking for. Now, on the surface, it looks as if you want a fully remanned powerhead, one that you can install.
Is that it in a nutshell?
I see that you are hitting all the most common, most advertised, most "hits" on the net.....
Is there noone in your area that will rebuild yours...you know...one on one.....you and the "guy"?
Is it a trust in workmanship issue with the locals?

I will ask another question.....you want a powerhead to install yourself?, but you cannot rebuild it yourself?
The install is relatively easy. Gotta have a cherry picker and some gaskets.....but fairly simple.

I would do you a very good job, but the shipping is high. I have a powerhead right now. Haven't thought of selling it.
Maybe an exchange....

Another thing....you can buy a whole running looper of that era for 2500 bucks or so. I have one I am trying to sell for that amount.
The places you mentioned are that high for just the powerhead.....

If you want, PM me with your phone number. There are things happening in my life that may be bringing me to NJ sometime soon....
I dunno, maybe we can work out a deal that is great for both of us.

To answer your specific question....I think Faztbullet in TN is relatively close...closer than Florida for sure, I bet he would do it.
Also, I am not a true fan, but I hear good things....MARFAB in TN also. I think that is Marine Fabrication or something like that.
There is Flagship Marine in Punta Gorda Fl also, but to tell you the truth, I had a bad experience with them. They DO have a good rep tho....

At any rate, just PM me with your number...we can hash out your details. I can tell you the details of my experience with them too.

jbjennings

Captain

Just thought I'd mention that I'd trust either Faztbullet or Daselbee on either a rebuild or whole motor. Since Faztbullet is closer, I'd surely give him a shot at a rebuild if that's the route you choose to go. He builds a lot of racing stuff and knows all the weaknesses of a lot of models and how to improve them. I would be leary of a rebuilt powerhead since you don't know for sure what caused the problem to begin with and are likely to hatch the new powerhead. That's another good reason to get a complete used motor from a reliable person.
JMO,
JBJ

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can PM me also, block may be salvageable but I will only repair it if it passes pressure testing.

daselbee

Commander

I read too many of these posts to keep them all straight.
I re-read your first post....I see now that you have a hole.
I cannot do a thing about that.
I am not making my living at this....guys like Fazt can take care of this type of issue.

Keep your options open. Look locally for a good donor motor.

martyweir

Cadet

Thank you guys! In my area large outboards are not the norm. PGH 3 rivers= IO's or inboards. There are 2 places locally, one does tune ups, maintenance, etc and the guy is a total jerk. The other is the above named OneOutboards. When I spoke with Oneoutboards the owner sounded like a he!!ofa guy and knew his stuff, but after reading online reviews I'm probably steering clear unless I can stand there and watch! HAHA!

I'll pm Fatz & try the other guys you mention for pricing. Either want a total rebuild, or a remanned powerhead that I can install. Considering pricing for both. Any way this goes I'll remember to post a follow up on my outcome. Too many of these dead end posts on here that ask the questions, then never offer results.

THANKS ALL!