I need this cover!

leslielbk

Seaman
I should be working, but I'm obsessed. Here is a photo of the cover/faceplate I need for my RJE-19. The mechanic cut a piece of aluminum, spray painted it, and stuck (I don't know how) it over the open space. I said "won't I need to get at the controls?" He said "nah".
I've had a hard time finding one of these, and been looking on & off for several years. Thought I'd take another run at it, to see if anyone has a lead. Thanks!!!Faceplate pic.jpg

nwcove

Admiral
Re: I need this cover!

have you tried doug penn for a plate that will fit?? decals can be found at nymarine.

emoney

Commander

Might be easier to take that piece of aluminum you have, drill the 3 holes, order the decals mentioned above and then paint it.

leslielbk

Seaman

I sent Doug an email - oh, the website is agonizingly cool. Is he married? Kidding. I'm actually afraid to take the cover off because they probably removed the knobs...ugh. Thank you for the Doug connection - I am thrilled!

leslielbk

Seaman

IMG_1872.jpgIMG_1873.jpgIMG_1877.jpgSomewhere, somebody asked for photos of my motor. Doug does have a cover, it's from a seahorse so isn't technically correct but will fit for now. Thanks for the referral - I'm glad to have a go-to guy.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

For absolute correctness, you need THREE covers for your motor. It is a Javelin model, so it has the inner face plate, which your hi & low speed & choke knobs all pass through, PLUS a second cover, a pressed metal decorative chromed cover that goes over the knobs, PLUS a third cover the goes over the starter handle. If you Google Johnson Javelin 30 images, you'll see several...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would fire that mechanic. LOL You don't need to access the knobs? What a laugh. :D:D
I would just hunt down a correct one, myself. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Isn't an RJE-19 a '57 35 Javelin? My '59 is an RDSL-21

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I missed that. But something isn't meshing here - the rest of the motor is still bronze, and a '57 RJE-19 would be white. So, either it's a '56 Javelin RJE-18 with the wrong ID tag, or it's a '57 35hp RJE-19 with an old repaint and wrong cowling...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Or he typed the wrong model number.

I would try to locate the missing parts Scott mentioned, really makes the RJE18 stand out. I can post pics if you like, I have a few in the basement.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I missed that. But something isn't meshing here - the rest of the motor is still bronze, and a '57 RJE-19 would be white. So, either it's a '56 Javelin RJE-18 with the wrong ID tag, or it's a '57 35hp RJE-19 with an old repaint and wrong cowling...

Myself, I am leaning toward a 1956 Javelin. That paint looks original.
One way to tell also, is also by looking at the cylinder head. Are there any compression release valves there and an actuator lever?
The older 30's and 25's didn't have them. '57 - '61 35's and 40's did.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah lots of differences under the cowl, including the colour of the foam strip.

Im fairly certain she is a '56 Javelin as well.

The plate you got is likely white, you would want the black one to be original.

nwcove

Admiral

I would fire that mechanic. LOL You don't need to access the knobs? What a laugh. :D:D
I would just hunt down a correct one, myself. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Isn't an RJE-19 a '57 35 Javelin? My '59 is an RDSL-21

is it even possible to mount a plate that way.....without cutting the ends off the hs and ls needle?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Good point nwcove. I'm interested in knowing how this plate is mounted LOL

Where are the high speed and low speed needles? Were they cut off to allow mounting of that plate?:eek:

nwcove

Admiral

if i was a betting sort....id bet the op will probably need both needles and knobs, and a choke knob and the springs that keep the face plate tight to the cowl. ( from pic #2, it looks like the plate is mounted flush....but pics can be deceiving)

leslielbk

Seaman

Ok. I'm a giant jack-***. I got everyone off on a wild goose-chase, and here's why: that motor I posted in the pic isn't mine; it's a photo I snagged off an ad on ebay. I was just using it for reference, to show what cover I was talking about. I do indeed have an RJE-19, and the cowling is a very faded reddish. I'll post what I've got so everyone can see - it ain't pretty. And to follow up more, my cover came while I was on vacation, and I'm not sure it'll fit...That pic is added too. I tried to prop the "new" cover next to the knobs to show what the motor actually has and if the cover will fit. I have no idea what I'm doing (obviously) but I'm willing to creep along with your help. Sorry to have mis-lead everyone, but it was fun to read the what you all said.IMG_2141.jpg
IMG_1873.jpgIMG_1872.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That's alright. Get us each a 12 pack, and we'll forgive you :D:D:D

Looks like you have a good faceplate though.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That is the face plate you need. But... your motor has the wrong carburetor on it! The carb in the pic appears to be that of a 35hp. Starting in 1958, the 35 Johnrudes had a pull-down front door on the cowling to access the knobs. Not sure how well it would work - probably alright, as the carbs are mechanically similar. However, it has the short needle valves and no provision for the choke knob to come through the face plate.

Soooo, ideally, you'd like to get a proper 30hp carb with the LONG high and low speed needle shafts, and a nub of a choke linkage with a threaded hole in it for the choke knob.

nwcove

Admiral

if i was a betting sort....id bet the op will probably need both needles and knobs, and a choke knob and the springs that keep the face plate tight to the cowl. ( from pic #2, it looks like the plate is mounted flush....but pics can be deceiving)

didnt see the "wrong carb" coming, but if/when you "go to", your go to guy, get the complete carb, knobs and all. ( and the springs that keep the face plate tight to the cowl)

leslielbk

Seaman

He sent me the cover, the long shafts, the knobs, and springs and some screws. I'm soooo embarrassed. I'll send a pick of everything that was in the package. 12 packs in the mail.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Are you going to get the proper carb? I could go look in my carb boxes to see if i have one, likely do.