1962 Johnson Shift Shaft Seal Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to reseal the lower unit of a 1962 40HP Johnson. The book says that there is a bushing an O-ring and a gasket sealing the shift shaft. How do you get those suckers out? Any tricks or tips would be appreciated? Also, any tricks for removing the drive shaft seal from the top of the unit as well. Looks like it is a pressed in piece.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1962 Johnson Shift Shaft Seal Replacement

You need a special punch like the one shown to remove the bushing. It has the same diameter as the shift rod, with a shoulder on it. Obvously you have to open the gearcase. Some come out from the top, some from the bottom. A standard seal puller with a hooked end (about $10 at an auto parts store) is used to remove the driveshaft seal.

Attachments

• punch.JPG
    punch.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 2

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

PM iboats member F_R, he can help you out.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

For the shift shaft you can always tap about 3 threads into the brass bushing and then screw in a bolt. You can then either punch it out by hammering a rod that is put up against the bottom of that bolt (my preferred method) or simply pull on the bolt head.

The drive shaft seal is best pulled with a seal puller. Here is a video on how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu6BgXYxefs

In either case you will probably need to dissassemble the lower unit and then seal it all back up again. Might as well change the prop seal while you are at it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

And the water pump.

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And the water pump?? Yes I am replacing the rotor. Do I need to replace other parts of the pump assembly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Depends on how bad they look. Only you can make that decision.

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wondering what I am doing wrong. From looking at the lower unit, it appears that my bushing goes out the bottom. Measured out my spade bit and sure enough it looked at it should work. I put it in from the top and drove and drove and rove. Nothing !!! I have since ruined the bit, and the bushing is still stuck in place. So, any additional ideas on how to get the bushing out? I am thinking of tapping it at this point to see if I can pull it out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've done that trick before and it works. Tap it out, put a long bolt in it with vice grips attached and beat on the vice grips in the up position. Of course you'll need a new bushing. The new bushing and seals are installed from the top.

AlTn

Commander

as you discovered, it drives from the bottom out the top..on the reinstall, once you get close to the spot the old bushing came to, grease the lower shift rod and insert it to get a feel for the tightness the new oring < fat rubber seal > brings, then make small adjustments in driving the bushing in further if necessary, it'll become really difficult to move the shift rod if you drive the bushing in too far

lindy46

Captain

Don't be gentle - sometimes it takes some pretty good "raps" with a hammer to pound it out.

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got the tool from F_R. Great looking tool. I insert it in the top of lower unit. It felt like it dropped into a certain point. Looked at it from the gear side case and the tool looked like it was in the right place, so I flipped it back over and started hitting the tool. Well I hit the tool so hard I drove it right through the bottom of the unit. After I got the tool out the bushing really did not look like it had moved at all. So at this point, I am thinking of trying to machine this thing out. What I would like to confirm at this point is the bushing on the gear case side or the water pump side. My parts manual clearly indicates that it comes in from the top, but I don't see anything that looks like a bushing from the top. The hole is just barely smaller than the surrounding casting. When I look at it from the gear case side I see what appears to be a bushing. So I think I can machine it from gear case side.

AlTn

Commander

k..to get on the same page..marineengine.com..1962 40 hp. RD-24 Gearcase Group...parts 19,20,21..bushing, gasket,seal < fat oring >..they do insert from the top, so you would drive them out from the bottom to the top...F_R's tool allows this as well as the reuse of the bushing...those parts "rest" on an inner lip within that casting...in trying to drive the bushing from the top out the bottom have you destroyed this lip?...is the brass bushing driven significantly below the surface of the casting?

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok will try from bottom. Hope nothing destroyed

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried from bottom tool does insert into the hole.

So I made up my mind. I decided to drill a 5/16 hole and tap it 3/8-16. Install all thread and pull it out. The first picture is looking in to the lower unit from the water pump side.
2012-09-29 14.08.24.jpg
This next picture is from the gear case side.
2012-09-29 14.06.50.jpg
Here everything is set to start pulling
2012-09-29 16.00.45.jpg
And the end result is
2012-09-29 16.08.28.jpg
If I could get the bushing off the puller rod it could probably be reused. However as I don't want to do this again I will replace it with a new one.

AlTn

Commander

well it looks like I couldn't have been more wrong, apologies extended. Is there another tool made to drive out the ones that come in from the gearcase side? If not, I don't see much of a way to get it out other than the one you used. The new bushing is the right call imho, no need to allow any more lateral play in the lower shift rod. Hope you didn't waste too much time before deciding, "Hell, he's crazy. It's gotta come out the bottom."

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem. I had pretty much figured out that it had to come out the bottom even though the drawing said otherwise. I think the tool should still work as it came in from the top with no issues. I just think my bushing was really stuck. There are two large fender washers on top of the block of wood. They both crushed into the wood their full depth before the bushing came out so I realy think the bushing was just stuck from 40+ years of service.

AlTn

Commander

someone will run across this thread and really benefit from your pics and experience...it should go back together with less "drama" hopefully

jleiii

Cadet

I'm a little late on this thread, but I did this on my 1960 40 Johnson about 2 weeks ago. I bought a 5/16 steel rod at the hardware store, turned a 1/2" section down to 1/4 dropped it in to the hole from the top (WP side) and had to beat the daylights out of it, but it finally came out without any damage. I had a spare lower unit to practice on, and learned that you cannot remove it if the rod won't pass through the hole in the casting. We used a crappy 5/16 alignment punch and ground the tip to 1/4, knocked it out only to find the bushing jammed on the end of the punch (need square clean edge from 1/4 to 5/16 to catch the bushing edge cleanly), but was able to knock the punch back out of it with a smaller punch from below. The turned 5/16 rod worked perfectly. FYI, I found how to make this rod in another thread here on iboats. Sooooo glad I did! I'd have never figured that out on my own.

We used 2 screw drivers and a couple small sockets for leverage to remove the shaft seal under the WP. The WP channels kept the sockets in place and they gave a good prying surface. This one was very tough to get out and was pretty destroyed in the end. The seal in the WP and prop shaft came out with little effort.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.