1998 Johnson 40 - Removing VRO

JSymchik

Recruit
Hello

Just bought a boat with a 1998 40 HP Tiller. I am going over it bit by bit as I think I got a decent deal, but the motor might not have been cared for the way I would have. Didn't run all that well but had good compression and nothing especially out of repair. I have a shop manual (Clymer) which has helped me with linking and syncing and some other things, but seems a little light on the following subject.

The VRO is disconnected. The previous owner out on a Sierra fuel pump that has an inlet and outlet and uses the pulse from behind the pump.

I just bought the Johnson pump and it has an inlet, outlet and a pulse line - no hole in back.

Can I use the pulse line that the VRO used without a pulse limiter. I am assuming so otherwise why the third line. I would rather use the OEM fuel pump as I already have a service kit for it.

Also, is the airbox drain supposed to be piped into the intake manifold or crankcase. It is not connected to anything right now.

JSymchik

Recruit
Re: 1998 Johnson 40 - Removing VRO

Hello

Just bought a boat with a 1998 40 HP Tiller. I am going over it bit by bit as I think I got a decent deal, but the motor might not have been cared for the way I would have. Didn't run all that well but had good compression and nothing especially out of repair. I have a shop manual (Clymer) which has helped me with linking and syncing and some other things, but seems a little light on the following subject.

The VRO is disconnected. The previous owner out on a Sierra fuel pump that has an inlet and outlet and uses the pulse from behind the pump.

I just bought the Johnson pump and it has an inlet, outlet and a pulse line - no hole in back.

Can I use the pulse line that the VRO used without a pulse limiter. I am assuming so otherwise why the third line. I would rather use the OEM fuel pump as I already have a service kit for it.

Also, is the airbox drain supposed to be piped into the intake manifold or crankcase. It is not connected to anything right now.

Anything?

abchinchar

Recruit
Re: 1998 Johnson 40 - Removing VRO

Have a similar issue as I am dumping my second VRO for premix. My own research tells me that if the fuel pump I buy has no pulse fixture in the back then it usually comes with a gasket that covers up the pulse hole on the block. In which case, yes, we can then use the old VRO pulse hose from the lower part of the block. Seems that a pulse good enough for the VRO is good enough for the straight fuel pump. If I'm wrong, somebody stop me.

On my '99 Johnson 50 that air silencer hose you're asking about runs from the nipple at the bottom of the box back toward a nipple at bottom center of the block. Flashlight it and you'll find it. Had to lengthen my hose, because pulling the air silencer for carb service automatically pulled that hose from the block, and I had the same question you did for quite a while.