Trim Tilt pin stuck

sail1946

Cadet
I have a 1996 40HP Johnson with electric tilt and trim. The hydraulic cycliner is leaking so it needs to be rebuilt or replaced, however the top and bottm pins holding the unit are siezed. I tried to take tham out and failed, so I took it to a dealer who tried and failed. A slide hammer to the top pin will not budge it. The dealer thinks it siezed because it was in salt water.

Any ideas on getting the pins out?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Trim Tilt pin stuck

I have a mild steel(brass is better) drift rod that I hit with a 3 lb one handed sledge hammer on that top pin and it eventually comes out. Mine is salt water also. Good luck

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, removing the tilt pin can be hard. I took penetrating oil and a lot of time with no success. I didn't dare to use a propane torch because of the paint I didn't want to distroy. So I warmed up both ends of the pin with a heat gun (550?C, two of them would be better) for about 20 minutes and got the pin out eventually. The first millimeter is the hardest.
To prevent this happen again I cleaned the pin and holes with sand paper and used some water resistant grease when reinstalling the pin. Now I check the pin for being stuck once a year.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The best thing I can tell you if it's been in salt water is heat heat heat and a big hammer and a brass drift. With a brass drift you won't mushroom the pin heads. If you do that you have big probs.

sail1946

Cadet

The heat and a big hammer got both of the pins out. Thanks for the advice. Now I am hoping the pump can be rebuilt!