1989 Evinrude 150 XP

Evanrude88

Cadet
My cousin was putting in my plugs yesterday and a wave comeover the back of the boat and got into my two bottom cylinders. I took the plugs out and cracked it buts no water shot out however when I put the plugs in and took them out they were wet. Any suggestions on additives to put in to dry it up or any other suggestion to get the water out.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 150 XP

I'd squirt some oil in both cyls, then turn the engine over repeatedly with the spark plugs out. Some water will come out the plugs, but much will actually be exhausted down the exhaust tube as the engine cranks. After cranking and you observe that no more spray is coming out the plug holes, reinstall the plugs and try to start the engine and warm it up. Check to make sure no water from the wave got into your remote oil tank under the back splashwell! That's a powerhead failure waiting to happen. If your plugs continue to look wet, take a fuel sample from the on-board tank and check to see if there is water in it. Water settles to the bottom and is the first thing sucked up when the fuel pump runs.

Evanrude88

Cadet
Re: 1989 Evinrude 150 XP

I found the water source. A wave had came over the back of the engine and filled the air intake. The lower carb was sucking water through which is how I was getting water in the cyclinder. I got the boat running for 15 minutes then it stalled out and is have the similar problems as before. I removed the plugs and dried them off but they it still stalls.