18 HP Evinrude, how to determine Model/Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moreno

Recruit
Howdy. I just got an older fishing boat with an 18 HP Evinrude outboard. We ran it and it starts (electric) right away and runs strong. I need to know how to find out the model number and year it was made. All I can find is a plate with the serial number. Also, I was told by the previous owner that the fuel to oil mixture was 50 to 1. I read somewhere on this site that this might not be correct. I want to make darn sure I don't screw this nice little motor by using the wrong fuel to oil mixture. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Guess there is another question. Where do I check the lower unit oil/grease and what type to use? Thanks!!!
Gus M.
Nebraska

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18 HP Evinrude, how to determine Model/Year?

Well you already have found the model number. It is the first part of the serial number. Inother words, serial number MMMMM-SSSSS, the "M"s would e the model #. If you had posted it, I could have told you what year it is.

Gear oil is checked at the two big straight slot screws in the lower unit. Should be full to the top one, and no water in it. Takes 80-90 weight outboard gear oil. DO NOT!!! remove the small screw, usually Phillips head!!!

Can't tell you the fuel mix till you come up with the year. But 1964 and up are 50:1. older ones are 24:1.

kfa4303

Banned

HI moreno. Welcome to iboats. Great old motor you got there. I have a'66 20 hp Johnson, which is virtually identical. Look on the transom clamp for a small riveted tag. It may have been painted over, but there should be a model number and serial number. Once we have that we can pin down the year, or you can just post a pic. F_R is right, you can run 50:1 for all models '64 and late, although I run 24:1 just to be on the safe side and I make virtually no smoke on the water. Here's a handy little link that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. You can get any routine parts like carb kits, tune up kits, etc...right here at iboats for about $20 each. Good luck. Keep us posted.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

moreno

Recruit

Thanks for such quick replies. Here is the serial number I found on a plate located on the left side of the transom bracket:

15034-11607

No letters anywhere on that plate. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.
Gus

moreno

Recruit

Thanks for finding that out for me. I still need to know what oil mixture I should use for this 1961 Evindrude 18HP. The past owner said he ran 50:1 but someone posted that prior to 1964 (I believe) they should run 24:1. I really want to use the right oil/fuel mixture so I don't damage it.
Thanks for the parts list link!!!
Gus
Nebraska (Yes, we have some water, for how long I don't know!)

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

That part diagram posted by Gus shows that it has needle roller bearings for the piston wrist pin (pg. 4-5, item 104).
So you can use 1:50 mixture.

Peter

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Gus. If it has needle bearings you can run 50:1, but I would highly suggest you err on the side of caution and run 24:1 with Champion J6C plugs. A little extra oil never hurts these old 2-strokes and you can add straight gas to it in a pinch and in still be within a safe fuel/oil mix range. Modern TCW-3 marine, 2-stroke outboard oils burn much cleaner than they did in the past, so smoke won't be an issue. Good luck.

moreno

Recruit

Thanks all. Will try 24:1 mixture. If I run all the skeeters off then I'll know to back off a bit on the oil. Then again, that might not be a bad side effect!
Thanks again.
Gus

Hankmeister

Recruit
Greetings - new poster here. I know this is an old thread so I hope Gus-71 and the rest of you still have your ears on. I too just acquired an 18 hp Evinrude, passed on from my Dad. Needs some work. Serial # 18802M-E12171. Year?
Oh, and what diameter fuel hose should I be looking for? The old on is rotted.
Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.