johnson 9.5 skeg and permatex 2

Brian30

Recruit
Hi, 4 days ago I replaced the prop shaft seal on my 1972 johnson seahorse 9.5 hp. I was told I could use permatex 2 in the gasket groove in the skeg and on the screw threads. The squeeze out is still soft/sticky. I haven't refilled the lower unit yet. Was I misadvised about permatex 2. Thanks.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 9.5 skeg and permatex 2

It is my undedrstanding that Permatex II is designed to never get completely hard.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

OMC Adhesive Sealant was the recommended product way back when. Now the recommended is 3M Scotch-Grip Rubber and Gasket Adhesive #847. Beyond that, you're kinda on your own unless someone else has experience with Permatex 2, and I guess that's what you're asking. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

AlTn

Commander

if you'll go to the permatex website < may have to find the one for industrial customers >, they'll probably have a form to submit questions about applications..just state what you want to use it for and an email address and you should get a reply...if you do this, whatever answer you receive would help other forum members as well

Brian30

Recruit

if you'll go to the permatex website < may have to find the one for industrial customers >, they'll probably have a form to submit questions about applications..just state what you want to use it for and an email address and you should get a reply...if you do this, whatever answer you receive would help other forum members as well

Thanks for the replies...still hoping someone has specific experience with permatex 2...either way this may not work -- the shaft had a small yet perceptible groove and some pitting where the shaft seal seats.

kbait

Commander

I just ran out of the 3M 847, and called Tim's outboard to see if they carry it, or what they use. Dan said they use permatex 2 (it's black). Said they've been using that for years w/no issues. It does not fully harden, like the 847, and is goopy to hold those spaghetti seals in place while installing..again, like the 847.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'll stick with the 847, It's like the old M sealer. Could always trust it.