1967 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin Electric Start Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandM

Recruit
Hello, I am wanting to add electric start to the motor above, model # 18702R-E####, and need some direction.
First I need a starter motor and a bracket, which I think I have found as being kit part number 175019, that includes the starter and bracket that fits 18-40 HP 1957-88.

My next step is to locate a solenoid, so I am wondering if a solenoid for the same motor size and year range as the kit above would be the correct one. I think but am not sure that the solenoid is supposed to mount directly to the motor bracket.

My flywheel currently has the toothed ring around it, so I think that this will need no extra parts, correct?

Next, should I try to locate a used wiring harness or fabricate one myself? If I went with a used one, what approach would I need to take to identify year and part number?

Has anyone done a conversion like this before?

What kind of modifications do I need to make to get the battery cables into the motor?

Would this motor be factory prepared for a neutral safety switch, and if so how can I locate a compatible part and part number?

As for the actual start/keyswitch, any suggestions to location and mounting?

Are there any pitfalls that I should be prepared for?

I am competent mechanically and electrically so there should be no issues to arise that I don't think I wouldn't be able to tackle, just need a few pointers.

Any and all direction or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin Electric Start Conversion

Here is a general wiring diagram to guide you. Are you going to control it from a remote location, ie does your boat have a steering wheel/helm? Or are you going to run it as a tiller?58to60fastwin.jpg

LandM

Recruit

Here is a general wiring diagram to guide you. Are you going to control it from a remote location, ie does your boat have a steering wheel/helm? Or are you going to run it as a tiller?

Thanks for the wiring diagram, yes the motor will be operated as a tiller, no plan on adding remote steering, or controls, just need electric start.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You can either add the start button/solenoid etc... with in the cowl, or run the wiring to a solenoid box, then to a start button/key switch under your bench seat.

LandM

Recruit

You can either add the start button/solenoid etc... with in the cowl, or run the wiring to a solenoid box, then to a start button/key switch under your bench seat.

If I went with the box method, any thoughts on year/model that I can try to obtain?

What are your thoughts about removing the kill switch from the bottom front of the motor housing and routing the battery cables and harness through that hole instead of penetrating the cowl? Would this be a better alternative?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What are your thoughts about removing the kill switch from the bottom front of the motor housing and routing the battery cables and harness through that hole instead of penetrating the cowl? Would this be a better alternative?

That is what I did on mine; or at least that is what a PO did....works great because you might want a remote stop switch anyway. That hole is the perfect size for all wiring to pass through...and it looks "factory".. Well; sorta.

Johnson_18_ElectricStart.jpg

LandM

Recruit

That is what I did on mine; or at least that is what a PO did....works great because you might want a remote stop switch anyway. That hole is the perfect size for all wiring to pass through...and it looks "factory".. Well; sorta.

Did you install a grommet in the hole before routing the cables through? Did you make your own harness or use OEM?
Does the solenoid mount on the starter bracket, and finally, where could I locate a rubber/pvc sheath similar to what OMC uses, to cover the battery cables and harness wiring, so that I have one, nice looking bundle?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you install a grommet in the hole before routing the cables through? Did you make your own harness or use OEM?
Does the solenoid mount on the starter bracket, and finally, where could I locate a rubber/pvc sheath similar to what OMC uses, to cover the battery cables and harness wiring, so that I have one, nice looking bundle?

Mine's got a grommet in there; it's an irregular shaped opening; not sure if the grommet is factory or not. My solenoid is mounted on the starboard side; down low in front of the fuel pump. Not sure on the sheath; mine has what looks to be the original harness. You could always use that corrugated split tubing...West Marine and most hardware stores sell that...and it would make a neat looking installation.

http://www.amazon.com/Drossbach-R012PEBS100-Black-Corrugated-Tubing/dp/B00009W3XO

Chuck

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you want it all neat in the cowl, mount the solenoid where you have room. Preferrably closer to the starter if you can, to save the lenth of wires needed.

Dont worry about factory cables, they will be partially or fully corroded by now anyways. I always rewire my motors. Go to your local hardware store and get a few feet of 4 gauge welding cable or battery cable and some new connectors.

I just did this for a neighbour. I used split loom to cover the wires running to the start button, which I hid under his bench seat, and haeavy rubber tubing to cover the power cables. I think it was actually water heater hose? Regardless, strong and will protect the cables.

LandM

Recruit

Thanks Chris and Chuck, great information. Do either of you have pics of a mounted starter and bracket?

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the solenoid box with my 1957 Evinrude 18hp. My question Chris is where do I run the negative cable coming from the battery? The solenoid has a 12 gauge wire going from small post on solenoid to the connector that plugs into the front of the engine. That is the ground to the engine block. So does the negative cable from battery connect somewhere on the solenoid or maybe the metal cover that fits over top of the solenoid? This black cover has a hole in the top where it screws down to a bolt that is on the solenoid bracket. It uses a wing nut.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

tmise, you should likely start your own thread, but the ground from battery will go into the harness which plugs into motor.

markgh1

Recruit
LandM

I ran across your thread and need to do the same thing to my 1966 18hp Evinrude. These old bones don't handle the pull cord like they used to and arthritis is making any maneuvering harder all the time, especially in the cold weather of Wisconsin in Oct/Nov the best fishing months! I don't want to give up my old faithful to a new engine either, I want history to live.

Do you have any more info on solenoid used and where did you end up mounting it. Do you have any pics of the detailed results? I know that I want to mount the start button in the cowl, due to ease of operation.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
LandM

I ran across your thread and need to do the same thing to my 1966 18hp Evinrude. These old bones don't handle the pull cord like they used to and arthritis is making any maneuvering harder all the time, especially in the cold weather of Wisconsin in Oct/Nov the best fishing months! I don't want to give up my old faithful to a new engine either, I want history to live.

Do you have any more info on solenoid used and where did you end up mounting it. Do you have any pics of the detailed results? I know that I want to mount the start button in the cowl, due to ease of operation.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Your plea is falling on deaf ears. LandM hasn't been here since starting this post in 2012. Start a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.