1956 Johnson fd-10 lower unit

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on my friends fd-10 long shaft but at some point it was changed to a short shaft evinrude lower unit. My problem is I need a lower unit seal kit. Will the kit for an fd-11 fit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Johnson fd-10 lower unit

It depends on the serial number. There was a mid year change in '57, prop shaft seal is a different size on the later '57's, they use the same seal as the '58 to 70s 18hp. So if the kit is for a '57 with serial number 7000 and down, it will work. If it is the seal kit for a '57 serial number 7000 and up, wont work. Actually the prop shaft seal will be the only different item, the rest will work.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can go to marineengine.com and look up the parts and compare them, most likely they will use the same seal kit.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. It happens that I only need the prop shaft seal but want a full kit. I will check the diagrams on marine engine but I'm not sure what year the lower unit is off of because it's not original.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok then open her up.

The earlier prop shaft seals will have a 0.625" Bore, 1.254"OD, 0.313" Width, Part number 302495

The later prop shaft seals will have a 0.625" Bore, 1.128"OD, 0.25" Width, Part number 313284

I can guarantee that they dont all use the same seal kit.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok dumb question but how do I get that seal out of the bushing assembly thing

64osby

Admiral

Ok then open her up.

The earlier prop shaft seals will have a 0.625" Bore, 1.254"OD, 0.313" Width, Part number 302495

The later prop shaft seals will have a 0.625" Bore, 1.128"OD, 0.25" Width, Part number 313284

I can guarantee that they dont all use the same seal kit.

Are you sure about that!:eek::D

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very carefully. It's easy to ruin the prop head. Take your time, don't expect it to be easy. But it will come out. You can get a seal puller at Harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=seal+puller
Some people punch or drill a small hole, put a screw into the hole a few turns and pry out with a hammer. Careful with that prop head that the seal goes in, it's just aluminum and easily damaged. Once you get some of the seal out, sometimes a visegrip can finish the job. Did I mention to be careful with that prop head?
Ok dumb question but how do I get that seal out of the bushing assembly thing

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Today I was looking over the lower unit and found there is some up and down and around play on the prop shaft. Will a new prop shaft seal fix this or?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The best way to remove the seal:

Take an 8d nail and grind the tip off to where the tip is flat. Set the prop seal housing over a socket that is slightly larger than the seal. Tap the seal out by driving the nail through the small holes on the outside of the seal housing.

If you have up and down play, then something in there is severely worn.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay so I opened it up and the brass bushing has grooves in it as well as the prop shaft. Really pisses me off cuz the owner has a 150 dollar limit and I'm already there in parts. I was told it was a rebuilt lower unit but that's not the case. What would you guys do?

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After another look the side of the prop head that faces the prop is out of round. This piece looks like it is stainless not aluminum and possibly part of the seal, is the prop shaft seal rubber and metal or just rubber? Also zephyr the only hole in the thing is for the pin the line up with the lower unit side.

64osby

Admiral

Okay so I opened it up and the brass bushing has grooves in it as well as the prop shaft. Really pisses me off cuz the owner has a 150 dollar limit and I'm already there in parts. I was told it was a rebuilt lower unit but that's not the case. What would you guys do?

After another look the side of the prop head that faces the prop is out of round. This piece looks like it is stainless not aluminum and possibly part of the seal, is the prop shaft seal rubber and metal or just rubber? Also zephyr the only hole in the thing is for the pin the line up with the lower unit side.

Bushing and prop shaft are toast for your description. Sounds like your side job just went south unless you get the owner to belly up. The seal is metal and rubber.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now I know this is bad business but the owner is a cheap bastard so do you think replacing the seal and filling with lubriplate will keep water out and grease in. The owner says he wil hardly use in anyhow

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well it's his motor, so do it that way...not the correct option but it works if he drains the unit every trip out and puts in fresh Lubriplate...you can also use corn head grease.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to everyone who posted. I forgot I had a 1953 10 hp parts motor I was able to take the prop shaft and swap them and it worked perfect, no play and no leaks.