Overhauled water pump now no water coming out of the tell tale.

D0T-C0M

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 130HP 1995 Johnson Outboard that I have done a fair bit of work. I removed the thermostats and cleaned everything up and installed it as the service manual states. I overhauled the water pump, new complete assembly.

The problem I have is there is no water coming out the tell tale hole. There is quite a bit of water coming out the lower unit from everywhere pretty much as soon as I turn the water muffs on. I have taken the lower gear unit off like 4 times and each time I found nothing wrong. The water pipe is well inserted into the pump. The o-rings are installed correctly.

I took the small allen key plug off the starboard side of the adapter and with just the muffs turned on lots of water comes out their.

I am starting to wonder if I installed the thermostats correctly. The tell tale hose indicates what exactly? Is it water after the thermostats or does it indicate water pressure before the thermostats?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Overhauled water pump now no water coming out of the tell tale.

The tell tale only indicates that the water pump is pumping. If you are confident that the water pump is in correctly, then I would suggest that you head to the boat ramp and submerge the motor half way up the leg while the boat is still on the trailer and test it out.

D0T-C0M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always had water coming out the tell tale on muffs before but why not now? What symptoms would a stuck open or stuck closed thermostat have in regards to the tell tale? I have the lower unit off right now, are there any test I can do? I actually blew air up the water pipe using my mouth and the pressure builds. After blowing air to build pressure I block the pipe off with my tongue and the pressure bleeds off(u can also hear it bleeding out) very slightly. It takes about 3-5 seconds for the pressure to bleeds off. Should this be completely free?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The thermostats will only let water circulate through the heads once operating temperature has been reached. The water circulates through the block and will come out of the telltale even if the thermostats are open or closed. The tell tale water will be noticeably hotter when the thermostats are open.
One way to test the water pump with the lower unit off, is to put the lower unit in neutral and submerge it in a trash can with water. Cut a piece of heater hose that fits onto the drive shaft and attach it with a hose clamp. Get a drill and put a drill bit that will fit into the heater hose and clamp it off. Power up the drill and see if the water pump will pump water.

D0T-C0M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the response. I will certainly perform that waterpump test when I get home from work. With the muffs on shouldn't there be enough pressure to push water out of the tell tale?

I removed the allen key bolt out of the muffler adapter plate on the starboard side. How much water pressure should be present on a correctly working system? I want to plug a pressure gauge there to see.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i just replaced a water pump on a friends 95 120 johnson,it took about 30-40 seconds before water came out tell tail.I recommend the pressure test, a simple fuel pressure gauge should work, get a referance pressure say at 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm. then all you have to do is check water pressure to check pump condition. Cofe, i like your suggestion about heater hose as an adapter I was going to use 12 point socket, but heater hose means no damage to shaft splines. what size drill and bit are you useing?

D0T-C0M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I went home and connected a garden hose to the water pipe in the mid section and after about 10-20 seconds water starting coming down the mid section but no water came out the tell tale. I removed the hose coming from the port side going to the tell tale and water came gushing out. I took the hose off the tell tale and a piece of what looked like a paint chip was blocking it. After I cleaned out the hose and tell tale I re-installed it and voila I get water coming out the tell tale. It just goes to show you have to check the obvious before tearing it down. It should have clicked earlier since I had the engine running for several minutes and the engine wasn't overheating.

D0T-C0M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a quick follow up question,

When the engine block fills up with water how does find its way back down the mid section? Is there an orifice that it goes through to create some backpressure? I looked in the service manual but the flow diagram is not too clear.