Replacing prop seals on 1982 35HP Evinrude

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While inspecting the area when the prop was off, I noticed lots of fishing line around the seal area, common with lots of fishing, some of which looks to have gotten in to the first seal. After reading the manual on working on the lower unit, which doesn't show to do the seals only, can they be replaced without pulling the prop shaft or should I just go through the whole unit? I've taken very good care of the motor over the years w/ regular oil changes for what it's worth.

I'm just wondering if I should do this or have a shop do it. I am good at mechanic work, have been working on motors, mostly autos all my life for whatever that's worth.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Replacing prop seals on 1982 35HP Evinrude

You have to remove the bearing housing (#1) to replace the shaft seals (#2).
Sometimes the housing can be a pain to get out, usually requires a puller.
Did you actually have water in the lower unit. Around here I see fishing line around the shaft and into the seal, and no water in the lower unit all the time. If no water in the lower unit, remove the fishing line and don't worry about replacing the seals.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take it to a shop and have it pressure and vacuumed checked. If nothing shows up, fill it with oil and run it. The P & V check may save you a lot of work.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, after further inspection, I found a little leak from the pivot pin. It's tight but leaking. Is it possible to pull it out very carefully to not disturb the alignment inside, clean it up and put it back in with a thread sealer? It appears that there's an o-ring between the screw and the housing. That's where it's leaking.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you want to pull the pin out, lay the mtr on it's side and it may work. Or else, back the pin out so a few threads are still holding it, clean up the seal area with carb cleaner and blow dry. Get some 3M-847 and put on it and screw it back in.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Think I'll go with the second option. I'd hate to have to tear the thing down for making a wrong move. Thanks boobie. Very much appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let us know what happens.