Please Help!!!!!johnson/ evinrude voltage reg to controls

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an electramatic 40hp johnson. I have the regulator w arm/fld/bat terminals. This being said how do I wire up the electric control switch in my controls? There is a forward and reverse wire coming out of the motor, from there how do I wire to the control switch? The only wiring diagram I have stops at the regulator, does not show how to wire the controls. Please help

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Please Help!!!!!johnson/ evinrude voltage reg to controls

Model number?

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have the model # right now. Its the 1963 40hp electramatic super seahorse.... wanna say r?24d. The controls that came with it were gutted. No switch.

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am thinking the forward and reverse wires go all the way to the control switch. Then i would have to run a 12v wire from voltage reg to control switch as well. Is there a nuetral wire? I ordered a book on the johnson outboard but have'nt recieved it yet.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hopefully Joe Reeves will jump in here, on my '69 , it starts in forward until voltage happens at start which throws it into neutral ( I don't remember which wire it happens on right now) then for reverse I believe both wires get powered.

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok... i will keep checking. I'm waiting on some parts to come in anyway. This is one wiring project I don't want to mess up lol could be disasterous. Thanks for your help bud!

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be using an evinrude push button electric control box on her. The johnson controls are to pricey for me lol....