Big Radiator Clamp

49qei8oo

Recruit
I have a 1984 Johnson 15HP outboard that is currently being help together by a Big Radiator hose clamp. :facepalm: The clamp goes around the steering column and the upper portion of the mid-section. There is also what appears to be exhaust leakage at the upper area where the steering bracket and the mid-section meet. I can actually pull back on the power head and you can see movement of about 3/4 of an inch in the same area (clamp is loose). The engine runs great with lots of power but I really want to fix it before I put it on my boat. Any ideas on why it has so much movement? :confused: Possible a mount bolt missing or loose on steering bracket? Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Big Radiator Clamp

welcome to iboats.

have you looked at shopevinrude.com? There are exploded parts views and that might help you. Do you have a manual? I would strongly recommend a good shop manual too.

Got a picture of this clamping you are talking about?

Haffiman

Commander

You simply need to change the upper motor mounts. Remove the powerhead and lower cover and you get straight to the problem.

49qei8oo

Recruit

You simply need to change the upper motor mounts. Remove the powerhead and lower cover and you get straight to the problem.
Thanks for the information, both mounts were destroyed. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. I have a manual that isn't specific to my engine but is covered along with other engines. I can't find where it shows or tells me how to remove the upper motor mounts. I removed the two outer screws in the mid-section that screwed into the left and right motor mount but they don't seem to move at all. Any other suggestions
:confused:

49qei8oo

Recruit

Look at the parts break down:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...de&section=Midsection+(all+Models+Except+Sel)

When powerhead is removed, remove the 2 screws #7.

Right, I took those (2) out first but it appears that #8 with a quantity of 4 is what needs to be removed to physically remove the mounts from the mid-section. In looking at these diagrams, how do I know if my engine is an SEL or not? Does that have something to do with the length of the engine?:confused:

thanks for the help.

Haffiman

Commander

Screws #8 hold the mounts to the leg, 2 each side.
Screws #7 holds the mount to the bracket #19.
No need to worry about the lower mount.
SEL is the sail version with 25" leg. Has a harder rubber in the upper mounts due to thrust force as well as I think to remember that #41 is thicker and the plate #50 is not flat but in a profile to give room for a thicker #41.
If rubber block #41 is deformed, change at the same time.

49qei8oo

Recruit

Thanks, you've been extremely helpful to this "nautical novice". :D

Haffiman

Commander

While you have the powerhead off and need to remove the exhaust tube to get the new gasket in place, change the grommet for the water tube at the same time.

49qei8oo

Recruit

Will change the grommet as well. The rubber block (#41) was completely discentigrated. Will be ordering the parts tonight, hopefully I'll have the engine running on the water soon.