1946 thru 1951 Johnson HD 25 2.5 HP Outboard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Blanchette

Recruit
The motor has been stored for 20 years. I dug it out and cleaned it up and got it running. As it was running, I got concerned with how hot the head got so I shut it off even though the shaft was submerged in a barrel of cold water. Does anyone know if this is a water cooled or air cooled engine? If it is water cooled, where would the discharge be located?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1946 thru 1951 Johnson HD 25 2.5 HP Outboard Question

Welcome!

It's definitely water-cooled. There is a eccentric pump just behind the prop under the housing. Remove the housing and check its condition of the rubber and wear plate. I forget if the HD has a "tell tale" or just mists out of the exhaust relief holes.

Mas

Tom Blanchette

Recruit

Welcome!

It's definitely water-cooled. There is a eccentric pump just behind the prop under the housing. Remove the housing and check its condition of the rubber and wear plate. I forget if the HD has a "tell tale" or just mists out of the exhaust relief holes.

Mas

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll check it out....If the rubber and wear plate is deteriorated then its a safe bet that these would need to be replaced? If so, any suggestions on sourcing these parts?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You won't have to worry about the wear plate. It's made of stainless. If you like, flip it over, when you buy a new pump. Pumps can be found at Sea-Way Marine. They also sell a lot of other parts for that model. Cool little motors. I'm in the midst of restoring a pre-war version of that motor, myself.

Tommy John

Cadet
I just obtained a Johnson HD 25 that I plan to restore. Aside from cover, the motor is in great shape. However, no spark. Any suggestions? Anyone know where I can get new condenser? Also, what should gap on points be?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just obtained a Johnson HD 25 that I plan to restore. Aside from cover, the motor is in great shape. However, no spark. Any suggestions? Anyone know where I can get new condenser? Also, what should gap on points be?

The best thing to do is start a new thread. This thread has been inactive for quite a while and most members ignore re-opened oldies. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.