Pump out old gas using Ficht Fuel pump ?

petes2101

Recruit
I have a 2001 Evinrude Ficht 150 that scorched two cylinders, and is basically shot, and I've bought a new E-TEC. The boat has been sitting for two years, and before they put the new motor on I'd like to pump out any remaining fuel in the fuel tank. I was looking at the fuel pump at the back of the motor and it has several fuel lines with quick-connects. When you turn on the key, the fuel pump runs to build pressure, then shuts off. So I was hoping to tap into the output line and pump out the gas to a gas can. I tried several lines including the one with what looks like a tire valve. Is it possible to dis-connect one of these lines and run a hose off it ? If so can you tell me which line ?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pump out old gas using Ficht Fuel pump ?

Just use the fuel that's in place now. cut it close to the engine and put in the container of your choice and squeeze the primer bulb that will get a siphon going.

petes2101

Recruit

I've tried siphoning but can't get it to siphon from the tank in my boat. It has to be pumped.

My question is does anyone know if the Fuel pump can be used ? If it doesn't build fuel pressure will it continue to run or just shut off after 10 seconds ? And which line is the fuel pump output ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

For SAFETY REASONS I wouldn't recommend doing it. Get a professional who does this every day.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

i,m not sure but i think that the EMM interpretes the running pump / no fuel pressure as a dangerous fuel leak and will stop the pump- but never tried this. of course you can short wire the pump with an automotive battery...

another question, being myself an owner of a 2000 150hp ficht- how many hours on the engine? any reason found why it blew two cylinders?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It must be your anti-siphon that is stopping you. I would have the riggers remove your old gas. If it's a case that won't take your old gas bring them some containers. I do use a 12 v pump at work, but mine is set up so that I will not get sparks!. Trying this at home for the first time with a 12 v pump could result in a spill or even worst your boat your boat on FIRE!.

petes2101

Recruit

i,m not sure but i think that the EMM interpretes the running pump / no fuel pressure as a dangerous fuel leak and will stop the pump- but never tried this. of course you can short wire the pump with an automotive battery...

another question, being myself an owner of a 2000 150hp ficht- how many hours on the engine? any reason found why it blew two cylinders?

Thanks, I have a 12V Facet Fuel It pump that wasn't working. But I just got a tip on a different forum that should fix the Facet pump, so I may have a solution to pumping the gas out.

As to your question about my F%$#d Ficht, it only had 217hrs after 7 years of salt-water use when it fried without any alarm, error code, or warning. A few months before, I happened to notice a small water leak, and found a thermostat housing had corroded out. This thermostat housing is mounted inline on the water cooling line on the port side. I replaced it and everything seemed to be running fine, but a couple months later the two upper cylinders on the port side cooked - again no alarm - just no compression due to big grooves the cylinder walls. I had been very happy with my Evinrude up to that point. But spending many thousands to buy and install a new powerhead seemed too risky. I got a good deal on a new ETEC so I will give Evinrude one more shot. I'm gonna try to be more careful to religiously flush the cooling system.