1977 115 evinrude has tilt and trim motor ,3 wires comming out but no control box?

mickeyred

Cadet
have 1977 115 evinrude power tilt and trim,have 3 wires comming out of trim motor but no control box! Also have no switch on the shifter! Can someone please tell me how to hook this up or if i can bypass the control box into a seperate switch to the shifter? Please leave no minor details out im not the best electrican! THANX SO MUCH! It is my first boat!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 115 evinrude has tilt and trim motor ,3 wires comming out but no control box

Ill assume this is a new boat to you? Here is a wiring diagram, too lazy to type

Trimwiring.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 115 evinrude has tilt and trim motor ,3 wires comming out but no control box

OMC makes a dash-mounted trim switch and panel which would work. Most folks like the switch on the control box handle. You may be able to find the correct switch and handle parts on the Bombardier parts diagram web pages. Then see if the local dealer can still get the parts. If not, you should be looking at marine salvage yards. If the engine was a recent purchase, perhaps the original owner still has the trim box. Those salvage yards are good places to find the trim control box you are looking for. You can't run the trim system without the box. The trim switch will burn out prematurely when the "up" position is activated over time due to high current loads.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Edit

mickeyred

Cadet

Thanx for the great advice!!