1969 Evinrude big twin 40 hp

fletcherman

Cadet
Help ! I recently bought a Evinrude Big Twin which im told is mechanically sound, unfortunately all the ignition equipment had been taken off under the fly wheel. I have purchased 2 new condensers, 2 new coils, and 2 new contact breaker points sets, but i have no idea where to connect the wires only by guessing ,I read that if i messed up and connected them in the wrong place it would damage the coils any idea were i could get a readable wiring diagram from or could someone tell me ,as there are not many wires to connect, but it is so important to connect them in the correct place .Hope someone can help. Fletcherman

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Evinrude big twin 40 hp

Not really hard at all. As you can see in the pic, The wire coming from the top of the coil is the ground and gets connected under the mounting screw. The wire coming from beneath the coil attaches to the points along with the single lead from the condensor. You will also have 2 black leads coming in through the mag plate for the kill circuit, they get connected to the points as well. Simple and easy right? Just make sure that the wires are tucked away so that they do not get cut by the flywheel, The condensor wire is an example, I like to pull it downwards before tightening, as you can see in the pic. Same with the coil ground, keep it in tight to the coil as shown. The front coil, or one on top of the carb feeds the TOP cylinder, and the aft coil feeds the BOTTOM cylinder, important when hooking up the plug leads. Be sure to mark the TOP cylinder plug lead so that you do not confuse it after the flywheel has been reinstalled and torqued. When installing the new plug leads to the coils, twist them in, instead of simply pressing them in. Any more questions let us know.

PS, I hope your new coils did not come looking like these old ones :)

003-3.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

....and dont forget the new wick!

Welcome to iboats.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

And looking at the face of the coil, the points and condensors to the right service that coil. I.E. the front coil services the top cylinder and the points and condensor to the right of it connect to the front coil. The same rule applies to the rear coil.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...another thing that should probably be mentioned is setting the gap, coil gap that is. There are 3 "gaps" pertinent to your motor.

The spark plug gap, which is 030, point gap, 020, and coil air gap, which is either set with a coil ring, or by lining up the laminations with the mounting boss. Having them extend past the boss will cause the flywheel to hit them, too far in will cause weak/no spark.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi fletch. Here are some great links that will have that old gem running in no time. I used to have an old "Big Twin" myself. Great motors. Well worth the effort to get and keep running. You can get all the parts you need right here at iboats too. Holler if you get stuck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm (for a smaller motor, but all the steps are the same for your big girl)

fletcherman

Cadet

Hi High Trim,thank you so much for the advice which i find of most value , you have enabled me to complete the work on my old engine . i think the only thing that concerns me now is setting the coil gap but im sure i will get the job done .
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN Fletcherman.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Not really hard at all. As you can see in the pic, The wire coming from the top of the coil is the ground and gets connected under the mounting screw. The wire coming from beneath the coil attaches to the points along with the single lead from the condensor. You will also have 2 black leads coming in through the mag plate for the kill circuit, they get connected to the points as well. Simple and easy right? Just make sure that the wires are tucked away so that they do not get cut by the flywheel, The condensor wire is an example, I like to pull it downwards before tightening, as you can see in the pic. Same with the coil ground, keep it in tight to the coil as shown. The front coil, or one on top of the carb feeds the TOP cylinder, and the aft coil feeds the BOTTOM cylinder, important when hooking up the plug leads. Be sure to mark the TOP cylinder plug lead so that you do not confuse it after the flywheel has been reinstalled and torqued. When installing the new plug leads to the coils, twist them in, instead of simply pressing them in. Any more questions let us know.

PS, I hope your new coils did not come looking like these old ones :)

003-3.jpg

It's guys that take great pictures, and the time to help others like this fella that make this forum by far the BEST forum that I have ever signed up on.

kfa4303

Banned

Hopefully the pic above will look like this when its all done.

Lightwin-new-magnedo-ignition-system.jpg (*not my magneto, but this one is textbook)

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, just got an old evinrude lark 40 last week, I was looking for any old posts about this engine because I to was only firing on one cylinder, and hear you guy are still talking about what I am looking for. This post alone has helped me understand where to go first. Thanks Sean

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh yea, those 40's are thicker than fleas on a dog's back still. I own three of them. You'll find lots of threads about them. :D

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, just got an old evinrude lark 40 last week, I was looking for any old posts about this engine because I to was only firing on one cylinder, and hear you guy are still talking about what I am looking for. This post alone has helped me understand where to go first. Thanks Sean

I do have a question still have not figured out which 40 I have, mine just says LARK but no number designation with it. Will this matter when ordering parts or just the year will work? The guy said it was a 72 but I will put a picture maybe you can identify for me. cant seem to find a data tag in there. SME

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again smevil. Cool, you have an Evinrude "Lark" 40hp. Very popular motor of that era, but I think it may be more like a '62. I'm not sure they still called them "Lark" by '72. If you look on the transom clamp, there should be a little tag riveted on there with a model number and serial number. Once we get that we can pin down the exact year, or you can post a pic and one of our resident, eagle-eyed pros will ID it for you. You can still get almost any parts you may need right here at iboats. Look here and online for more info on your OMC "Bid Twin" and you'll find all kinds of good stuff. They're great motors. Not the fastest motors ever made per se, but very torquey, reliable and easy to work on. Oh, and cool lookin', which is the most important thing. Cheers.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again smevil. Cool, you have an Evinrude "Lark" 40hp. Very popular motor of that era, but I think it may be more like a '62. I'm not sure they still called them "Lark" by '72. If you look on the transom clamp, there should be a little tag riveted on there with a model number and serial number. Once we get that we can pin down the exact year, or you can post a pic and one of our resident, eagle-eyed pros will ID it for you. You can still get almost any parts you may need right here at iboats. Look here and online for more info on your OMC "Bid Twin" and you'll find all kinds of good stuff. They're great motors. Not the fastest motors ever made per se, but very torquey, reliable and easy to work on. Oh, and cool lookin', which is the most important thing. Cheers.

Thanks I'm on it. And your right it does look cool, am going home from work grabbing a beer and doing some work on her. Can't wait. I got this 74 Holiday Sarcraft with the Evinrude 40 basically for a project, weather getting better the house is asleep, me and the dog are having fun. SME

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSC05658.jpg
Thanks I'm on it. And your right it does look cool, am going home from work grabbing a beer and doing some work on her. Can't wait. I got this 74 Holiday Sarcraft with the Evinrude 40 basically for a project, weather getting better the house is asleep, me and the dog are having fun. SME

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Model # 40073AZ
Serial # E02418

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

1970 was the last year of the 40hp Lark. 1971, the Lark was the newer designed 50hp twin. This 40hp Lark you have is the better motor though and has been a great proven design, since 1960. Tune 'er up right and she'll outlast you. :D

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well we have another one back online, probably not been run in 10 years pulled and carb cleaned it out all I could, pulled flywheel (pain in the butt) checked the coils all good, filed deposits off the points and regapped put back together, started right up. Pretty excited. thanks for all the above advise, expecially the pictures, went at it without a manual. Thanks SME
Also I put anti-sieze on the taper of the fly wheel, after reading more posts this is not recommended, should i pull it back off to clean it?