Throttle and steering controls for 85 Evinrude 30hp

burger74

Recruit
I want to convert my tiller steer boat to a center console flats style boat... What parts do I need? Does anyone know where I can get them? What I should look for? How much I can expect to pay? (I have a small project build budget) Is it even possible to do?

Tight lines,
C.Burger

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Throttle and steering controls for 85 Evinrude 30hp

I want to convert my tiller steer boat to a center console flats style boat... What parts do I need?

As for the parts you need, I can't answer "exactly", because I don't know that motor very well, but I can give you a pretty good idea... first thing you need to check is to see if the motor is able to accept steering, it should have a tilt tube (steering tube), where a steering cable can go through. if it does, then thats probably the biggest hurdle... if it doesnt, then they make add-on kits you can buy, but thats some additional expense, and labor. If it has the tube then you would need the following:

Controls:
Set of top mount controls (typically for center console), you may be able to get away with side mount controls, but depends on where you locate them... (price depends on controls, and whether you buy a new aftermarket like teleflex, or can find a used set somewhere)
you will need a set of throttle and shift cables ($60.00ish)

Steering:
Complete steering kit (including Helm/Cable) ($160.00ish)
a steering wheel ($40.00ish)
You will need the link arm assembly to connect the pivot point of the motor to the end of the steering cable (if the motor has the tilt tube as described above). (if you have to buy a new one, $80.00ish)

On the motor:
You will need all of the linkage that allows the connection of throttle/shift cables ($??)
Harness to connect to the controls to allow for remote start/choke, etc. (??)

I would suggest trying to find a "parts" motor that was already setup for remote control, and that has the controls with it, then you can just transfer all of the items you need to your motor. This would be the best option because it gives you all the parts you need except for the steering kit.

Does anyone know where I can get them?

Best bet is to check craigs list, and salvage yards for the used stuff, and you can buy a steering kit just about anywhere, including iboats!

What I should look for?
If you take a picture of the front of your motor I can tell you if its set up for steering, if you take a picture of the powerhead (with the cowl off), showing the shift and carb linkage, I can tell you if its setup to take cables. and use the info above on what to look for.

How much I can expect to pay? (I have a small project build budget)

Rough guess for you on cost is $400-$600.00 if you can find a good parts motor, and you doing all the labor.

Is it even possible to do?
Tight lines,
C.Burger

Anything is possible! just depends on what your willing to put into it time and money wise! ;)

Hope that helps!