Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys
New to the forum first post. I'm new to the world of boats and what not. Just got my first boat last yr. 14 ft gamefisher with fishing decks. Added 69' 25hp evinrude sportster along with countless hrs of other fixups. Right now I'm making plywood glassed custom livewell. Love to fish,and be on the water, But almost as much as i like being on the boat I like working on it. Which has been leading me to want to get my hands on some of these older motors 60's and up and try and rebuild them. For the fun of it and try and make a little $. Which leads me to my ?. There's a guy down here with a 18HP Johnson seahorse looks to be 70's model. the add says doesn't run do to not having carb and water tube. IN the add is a picture showing 119 psi in both chambers and it says has good recoil. The guy wants next to nothing for the motor do you guys thing a person who has never taken apart a boat motor, but who loves to take stuff apart and recondition then put back togather,and has a pretty good history of fixing there car when it breaks could take this thing apart and rebuild it, and do you think having to find a carb and water tube(whatever that is) plus the normal rebuild parts would take away any profit to be made from this motor.

P.s I have really just the basic tools,but would like to add anything i would need to do this kinda of thing all the time. Zepher It seems you've rebuilt your share of motors if I was able to gain the knowledge,and tools to rebuild these motors could a person make any $ doing this hobby.

Thanks for any help

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Thinking of trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

I wouldn't plan on retiring off the money you might make rebuilding vintage motors. You will enjoy bringing them back to life tho. It's a fun and satisfying hobby, but as a general rule, you end up putting more into them than they are worth.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, nwcove is right. Even if you have a motor given to you and you find it has bad coils, you'll be into it for just about 100 bucks, by the time you just refurbish the ignition system and replace the impeller. When things get costly, you end up re-kitting the carburetor and the lower unit. If the lower unit is in excellent condition, you'll get by fine, after a 25 dollar investment (minus shipping). On the good side, if you want a reliable outboard motor, that won't let you down for years and is built of good quality, then by all means, get an old 18 Johny/Rude. The earliest, the better. The reliability is good in all the years that they were built (1957 - 73) but after 1958, when they went to that doggon fiberglass hood set up, that was the only drawback. Those little rubber shroud mounts usually are broke, and if you decide to grab the fiberglass lid to beach the motor? HAH! You only end up with a lid in your hand. The best 18's were built in '57 and "58 with the good ol' aluminum clamshell covers. No plastic parts and they were tough as bullets.

Getting one of those with 100psi per cylinder is a plus. That means that it has decent pistons in it still and it's been properly oiled. If the readings are different from each other, more than 10%, then take your money to the next bar and have a few cold ones, because you'll feel better about walking away from a few cold drinks, than having to tear one down and replace the innards and loosing your money on the deal.

Also, on any that you wish to attempt to make money on, check the lower unit oil first, to make sure that you drain 100% clean oil and ZERO water, because a lower unit rebuild will punch a hole in your profit.

A keeper motor, is worth every cent, to do a 100% tune up, but a fix-to-sell......there isn't much money in it, given the current economic times, unless you only need to clean it up and tweek the carb on it.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys
It seems what I'm hearing is it's not impossiable to restore some of these motors. and make a profit ,but one would need to have more knowledge and exp to make that profit. As just grabbing any old clunker because it's cheap and not knowing certian specifics to look for could easily turn into many small things adding up or some really expensive things adding togather to make the motor worth what you have in it or less. That without that knowledge,and probably a good amount of $ to envest into it. the only real advantige to being able to rebuild an older outboard would be to supply yourself with a reliable outboard. Without breaking the bank on a newer motor. I still may call about this motor the guy only wants 25$ for and both cylinders show right at 119psi. For 25$ I just can't get it out of my mind:D, But taking into account yalls comments. I think I would have to gain some more knowledge and Exp before trying to do it with any regularity. So Thanks again, and any other imput from you guys or anyone is diffentaly welcomed.

lindy46

Captain

You can sell the parts off the motor for a lot more than $25. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. 119psi is great, and if true, an indication of a low hour motor. If you decide to get it running, you'll pay more than that just for the carb. Even with the carb and all the standard electrical parts, carb kit, impeller, seals, you would have a great motor for about $200-225 if you do the work yourself. Around here, I'd sell the motor for about $325-350.

kfa4303

Banned

I say go for it. It will be a great learning opportunity whether you decide to keep it or sell it. If it's only $25, you really can't loose money on the deal. You can get a tune up kit, carb kit, impeller, LU seal kit, and 7mm copper core spark plug wires for about $100. Most NAPA stores can even have it all delivered from their warehouse within 24 hrs for free! Some good prep, a can of Zinc Chromate primer and a couple cans of the color of your choice can have her lookin' like a million bucks again too. I agree with lindy46 that you could get over $300, in fact in my neck of the woods, you could probably get closer to $500. Folks love the old 15-20 hp motors from that era, but they're getting harder to find, and the 18-20hp (same motor really) from the mid 50's - mid 70's are just about the most powerful and reliable pound-for-pound motors ever made. I have a '66 20 hp and it's a one pull screamer and light enough to carry to and from the boat, if need be. Here are some great links if you decide to go for it. Keep us posted. We love pics.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm (different model than yours, but same process)

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...2=1966&gd_search_4893=20&**********=638888686

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...=20&gd_search_14107=1966&**********=638888686

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=109333&gd_row=28&**********=638888686

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well guys thanks to your encouragement I went ahead and got it here's some pics.

Lowerunit.jpg
[/IMG]

Lower unit clearly i will need a prop. Also it is missing a couple of the bolts that hold the LU case on. You can see one bolt is loose it's the wrong size . I hope it wasn't forced in there. The guy told me he drained the LU oil and there was no water in there. Rotating the drive shaft is not as easy as I thought it would have been, kinda got squeeze it to get enough pressure to turn the prop below. I thought it would twist more freely ,But it feels pretty stiff . Don't know if this is normal or not. Also what appears to me that might be the biggest problem is the nub there between the drive shaft and the little gear changer shaft is what the guy said was the water tube . He said I would have to make this from 3/8 copper line and that I would have to put a bend in the line to get it around little gear changing shaft. I have no Idea about this any help with any of these problems would be appricated.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frontwithoutcarb.jpg
[/IMG]

Again clearly. I will need a carb with the choke and what not attched. Alot of cleaning. The recoil pulls good thu it sounds like it wants to start. The foward and reverse handle is nice and crisp feels real good. The guy said it has real good spark on the bottom plug but not so much on the top. That I would need either a coil,points, or a condenser. The only other thing from this pick is the little plate thats missing down the body he said that was no big deal so i'm assuming I can find one of those, but I don't know what thats called. Again any help with any of this would be welcomed,and appricated.

Attachments

• 2012-01-04 12.34.56.jpg
    2012-01-04 12.34.56.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I tried to make money restoring antiques when I first started. I have now realized that it is nearly impossible. LOL Do I still buy them by the truckload and restore them? Of course, but because its what I love to do, not because I want to retire from it.

Added to that, I fall in love with them, and cannot seem to let them go. Ah well, as long as the wife thinks Im trying ;)

Can you post more pics and post the model number for us?

It will be cheaper to buy a parts motor and salvage the parts you need from it than to buy everything individually. Learned that lesson the hard way.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

brokenclamp.jpg
[/IMG]

So there's also this. Haven't tried to twist that out the back yet hope it comes out without a struggle. Dont know about getting another one on there either.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Your pics dont seem to be working.

The next piece of advice that Ill offer is to get yourself a factory OEM Service manual. Check ebay or www.outboardbooks.com for a factory reprint. Ebay will be cheaper.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know right I already thought of that on the way home. When I spend the time to fix it up I'm not going to want to sell it. It'll be like an I picked up a dog on the side of the road to find him a good home, and end up keepin him. Once it's painted and prettied up If I can make it run good I'll be so proud of it I won't want to sell it lol.:D....I'm working on some more pics. I'm pretty sure It's A 1959 model#fd-13.The serial number matches from the clamp and the little plate on the motor. so its original.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Like this?

seite_1415.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm thats odd I can see them. Its been trail and error for me to get the pics up I'm trying to make them bigger. I'll try just and post some thumbnails I looked on ebay already,and I wasn't sure about this. I also have a 69 evinrude sportster25HP onmy boat. I ordered the book for it today, and it says service manual. The only books I found for the 59 Johnson say owners manual. So I wasnt sure If that was the same thing that would give me instructions on how to change parts and what not. wanted to get an opinion on that one.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I dont think you have a FD13, from the partial pic I can see. Verify that first before getting any parts.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

2012-01-04 12.36.21.jpg2012-01-04 12.39.31.jpg2012-01-04 12.35.43.jpg2012-01-04 12.34.32.jpg2012-01-04 12.34.56.jpg

See if this works

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ah so it is, was thrown off by the paint job. Sorry.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm hoping I only need a carb,whatever the water tube thing is ,and to fix the top spark plug. The guy told me he found a carb on ebay for 12 dollars plus 13 shipping. I havent seen it yet nor any parts for it really, but I haven't looked very hard either. I thought a carb would be more than that. He had A Pic in the listing showing 119 psi in both Cylinders, but I meet him half way so I didn't actually see that. I figured the first thing to do is take it to the boat guys and see if they'll test that to make sure before I put any money in then get the manual.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

send your email address to my PM and Ill send you some presents.

You got it, step 1, check compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.