1986 Johnson 70 Hp VRO Rebuild

maineboat

Seaman
Re: 1986 Johnson 70 Hp VRO Rebuild

I have been really terrible about pictures, (I get to working and get excited about seeing progress, and forget) but this what I have accomplished; The intake manifold is thoroughly cleaned (carb cleaner) & washed (detergent & scalding water). I then inspected the reeds carefully and assembled the reed blocks. I stacked the reeds together in every combination possible, and none were found to be warped, twisted or bent. I reasoned that if they were piled like a deck of cards and one was bent, it would show up with an obvious gap in the "deck." I did not find any inconsistencies. I made a special trip to the auto parts store (they almo$t $eem glad to $ee me coming...) for some loc-tite blue for the reed assemblies. I then mounted the assemblies onto the intake, also with loc-tite blue, being careful to align the gasket (dry) so all the bolt & screw holes lined up. Then the whole assembly was installed on the block and torqued down.

Then I turned my attention to the carburetors. They were disassembled and carefully cleaned with spray carb cleaner. To my delight, they were not dirty at all, other than a sticky film on the outside. I also removed all the jets and welch plugs, and blew out all the passages with compressed air. Then they too got a good detergent scrubbing and hot water rinse, and compressed air again. I almost feel like I wasted my time/money on the kits for these, as they are about as simple a carb I have ever seen on a 2-storke, and very clean on the inside; but alas...they are thoroughly cleaned, re-assembled with new parts, floats adjusted and now installed on the intake.

I also decided to replace all the fuel lines between the fuel pump and the carbs. Another trip to the auto parts store, and for a couple of bucks, landed me two feet of 3/16” fuel line for the lines directly off the carbs. Then I got to looking on the internet, and found this place that has ratchet type hose clamps for a very reasonable cost.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/herbieclips.php
For less than a ‘tenner,’ I got all the clamps I need for all the interior hoses!! Now to wait for the Mail Man…….

~ more later ~

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then I got to looking on the internet, and found this place that has ratchet type hose clamps for a very reasonable cost.
For less than a ?tenner,? I got all the clamps I need for all the interior hoses!! Now to wait for the Mail Man??.

~ more later ~

Thanks for the link. That is the best price I've ever seen for this type of clamp. I'll probaly order $20-30 worth just to have some spares around.

mark1961

Ensign

Personally not a fan of those clamps.....they seem to break very easily, a pain when you trying diagnose fuel related problems.....each to their own though.

pviekman

Cadet

Then I got to looking on the internet, and found this place that has ratchet type hose clamps for a very reasonable cost.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...erbieclips.php
For less than a ?tenner,? I got all the clamps I need for all the interior hoses!! Now to wait for the Mail Man??.

Personally not a fan of those clamps.....they seem to break very easily, a pain when you trying diagnose fuel related problems.....each to their own though.

If they're used on aircraft, I'm sure they will be OK for a boat.

maineboat

Seaman

OMC (BRP) recommends using the ratcheting clamps as replacements to the 'zip' type strap clamps. They are more dependable on these smaller hoses, and are easier to install and don't need to be ridiculously tight to be effective. Besides, at $0.25 each, more or less, it's cheep enough to have a few extra on hand....

maineboat

Seaman

Well, I haven't accomplished much on the 'ole Johnson since the last post, until just the last few days. My hose clamps arrived shortly after New Years, but I didn't get the hoses all installed right away. I did get fuel line from the local Auto Parts store, and got all the runners cut to length. 3/16" for the carbs, and 5/16" in and out of the pump. I have settled on not hooking up the VRO, as much as I would like to. I have read several articles on the correct maintenance of the system, and though I am a believer, I just can't take the chance. This is a 25+ year old machine, and I'm not going to risk my rebuild on it. That being said, all the fuel lines are all hooked up, and ready for fuel.

CSC_0106.jpg CSC_0109.jpg CSC_0107.jpg

I have installed the air box base, but have not yet put the cover on. I got a Factory Service manual from *-bay, and would like to review my work compared to what the "other" manual says; if I need to, I will back track to make sure everything is as it should be.

maineboat

Seaman

Over the week-end I got the "brilliant" idea to drain the lower unit, since I was pretty much at a stand-still and figured it was as good a time to get it done as any. Well, I gotta tell you, it wasn't one of my finer moments. No, I didn't spill anything, but the smell, oh, the smell! I don't know if it was just because it was old or what, (and I smelled my share of gear oil) but it pretty much filled the whole house with it's fine odor!! SWMBO was not happy with me at all; it took the rest of the day to air the house out. I have been warned within an inch of my life!! On a brighter note, however, the gear oil looked perfect!! A little dark, but no sign of water what so ever!

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0138.JPG
The oil looks milky, but that's only because of the white background.

The plug has a small magnet on it, and there was barely any residue on it at all. I was very pleased to say the least. Hopefully I won't forget to fill it before I try to start it or use it... I am keeping a punch-card list now, as I am nearing the end. Really sucks to be this close and have to wait 3 months or more before I can fire it up. Oh well, there is still more to do.....

maineboat

Seaman

Well, today I got the rest of the parts that I had been waiting for. This evening I installed the timer base and stator. I put the flywheel on, and checked TDC as instructed in the manual. I made a piston stop tool by punching out an old spark plug and putting a 1/4" carriage bolt through it and locking it with a nut. It worked perfectly.

DSC_0156.jpg
It was only off by about 4?, so I adjusted the timing indicator as instructed. I also got the carbs sync'ed as much as I can without starting it. I don't think I'm quite dumb enough to try that trick in the house!!

DSC_0155.jpg DSC_0152.jpg

I'm thinking that this is almost "it" for now, but if anything else happens, I'll be sure to post. I appreciate any input, especially if anyone sees anything that I have over looked.

Thought I would also add a picture of a few visitors I had on the front lawn this afternoon. We still don't have much snow, so they can go pretty much where ever they want. I love seeing them; seems they can get very accustomed to us.....

DSC_0143.JPG

~ more later ~

maineboat

Seaman

OK, I haven't posted in a while, but I have been "puttering" on the motor. Since the last post, I have miked the crank, and it was within specs. I also assembled the pistons & rings, and installed them in the block. I got the block back last Wednesday, and have been so busy with that and other things, that I haven't had a chance to sit down and type a note.

Wanted to interject an editorial here that I forgot to mention at this point in the rebuild. I have always read about heating bearings to install them, and have tried on a couple of occasions with some limited success. Well, I thought I would give another try on the lower crankshaft bearing, since I don't think it would be a good idea to pound it on, no matter how carefully or gingerly I did it. What I did was to throw the crankshaft in the freezer for about an hour, and the bearing in the oven, set at about 175? for an hour. When I set the bearing on the crank, it slipped on with no resistance at all. I think that's the best I've ever seen that trick work!!

maineboat

Seaman

I got a Factory Service manual from *-bay, and would like to review my work compared to what the "other" manual says; if I need to, I will back track to make sure everything is as it should be.

Factory Manual arrived today, and from what I have read so far, everything is good to go. I don't see any inconsistencies between the two. I will say, however, that the Factory Manual is definitely more informative and is more specific. Certainly worth the $20 I sprung for it....

~ more later ~

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For less than a ?tenner,? I got all the clamps I need for all the interior hoses!! Now to wait for the Mail Man??.~ more later ~

Marineboat: just wondering if you were happy with the quality of the clamps? I'm going to order some if the are of good quality.

Thanks!!!

maineboat

Seaman

Marineboat: just wondering if you were happy with the quality of the clamps? I'm going to order some if the are of good quality.

Thanks!!!
Hey NoEcm, yes, I am very happy with the clamps. They are good quality, easy to install, clamp tight and inexpensive. AircraftSpruce didn't charge much for shipping either. The only difference might be on the smaller hoses. I replaced mine with after market hose, so the outside diameter may differ. The web site is pretty good with specifications, however.

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I've gone ahead and ordered ~50 assorted clamps just to keep them on hand.

My local Ace Hardware wants ~$2.00 each for these clamps and the average price that I paid to aircraftspruce was ~40 cents each including shipping.

maineboat

Seaman

Borrowed a compression tester this week end; 135psi top, 135psi middle and 134psi bottom. I'm very pleased, and gotta remember to write this in my service manual for future reference.

Not much left to do now but wait for spring....except to refill the lower unit.

~ more later ~

maineboat

Seaman

Well, I don't know about the rest of the country, but up here in Maine, Winter is breaking, and Spring is here!! Last week I moved the motor out doors; my lower driveway gets very muddy; not just mud, but soupy mud. The kind that goes 2/3 the way up you knee. So to advoid having to 'test fire' the motor in mud instead of a makeshift tank, I decided it best to get her out in the frost. All went well and she spent a few days on my small 4-wheeler trailer.

DSC_0341.jpg DSC_0342.jpg DSC_0345.jpg DSC_0348.jpg

maineboat

Seaman

Sunday afternoon, at his own suggestion, my son brought the boat over, and we set the motor on. I have not sealed up the transom or bolts, but I will before I splash her. He has a nice rig that worked excellent; I don't think it took us five minutes from the time we picked her up, till she was sitting on the transom. I am going to connect all the electrics (power, battery, pt&t, cables) and steering so I can test fire her later this week. If all goes well (and I have no reason to expect otherwise) then I will seal up the transom, and work on the other "customizing" items. Test results to follow; I will post pictures and maybe even a video!!

DSC_0356a.JPG DSC_0358aa.jpg DSC_0359.jpg DSC_0360.jpg

Pretty 'smart' looking rig, if I do say so myself!!

maineboat

Seaman

Not much left to do now but wait for spring....except to refill the lower unit.

Don't remember the exact date, but sometime last month I refilled the lower unit. Took exactly 22oz like the service manual says!!:)

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tend to agree with you . afterall, to remove .001 of an inch you'd probably have to rub on metal for about 5 minutes. think about it , tiny micro particles being picked up between the tiny micro gaps of 1000 grit paper . it all adds up to almost nothing . great post.