1986 30hp johnson just change a water pump wont start

opag07

Seaman Apprentice
:cool:Repalced a water pump because it overheated and quitted on me while out and about. Now the engine wont start but spits out one or twice at a constant.. as if it going to start now the battery runs out. What does that tell me ? I'm at the point of taking the engine and all to a boat shop to see if it's all worst it....Your response will be appreciate. thanks

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1986 30hp johnson just change a water pump wont start

Start with a compression test and report back. If you overheated it, there's a chance for damaged pistons and cylinder walls. If you don't have a compression tester, some auto parts stores do loan them for free, like Autozone, Oreilly's. Good luck.

opag07

Seaman Apprentice

Took the boat to the shop and the pressure on #1 cyl + 30psi, #2 cyl + 2 40psi........... Well, now is time for a overhaul would you think..... I wonder horw much time and money I would need now.. 50 to 1 mixture is a most....:cool:

jasper60103

Commander

Took the boat to the shop and the pressure on #1 cyl + 30psi, #2 cyl + 2 40psi........... Well, now is time for a overhaul would you think..... I wonder horw much time and money I would need now.. 50 to 1 mixture is a most....:cool:

I never done a rebuild, but I'm sure others on this forum can help you out. You being a mechanic, it should be a piece of cake. You will have to open her up to see the extent of the damage. Some pics would be great. Good luck.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Sucks man, sorry to hear that. I hope you trust the mechanic.........

kbait

Commander

Perhaps you blew a head gasket due to warping of the head at overheat. Check it.. if it's bad, replace and flatten mating surfaces. You may get lucky.
Good luck!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Perhaps you blew a head gasket due to warping of the head at overheat. Check it.. if it's bad, replace and flatten mating surfaces. You may get lucky.
Good luck!

I would do the same, and if the head is warped you may be in luck.....

opag07

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I will consider looking inside sometime next year after all it would be a wonderful experience for a mechanic...:cool: It might be sometime for pictures.
Thanks

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Well you will at least be able to see if there is severe piston scoring in the cylinder if you take the head off. If the cylinders look okay I'd just put a new headgasket on it, make sure the head isn't warped, torque it down per spec, and then giver another compression test.

opag07

Seaman Apprentice

It's been about a year since I have decided to replace a head gasthankket and restore the hull of the 1986 boston whaler...i was really looking to start restoration and rebuilt in some way the 30hp johnson.. However i am undecided if i should just go head and replace it with an upper level 115hp used boat..and not go thru the hassel... what doya think. Maybe it be a good down payment?
:cool:thanks