jonson 88 spl ? only 60 psi in all4 cyl and running fine

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I'm getting only 60,58,65,60 on 88spl motot and she seems to run fine no load I hope to put her in the water today and see but I'm told by previous owner all is well. How could this be? I also notice water in number 4. I hope that's just a head gas get. Any ideas on this guys?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: jonson 88 spl ? only 60 psi in all4 cyl and running fine

I'm getting only 60,58,65,60 on 88spl motot and she seems to run fine no load I hope to put her in the water today and see but I'm told by previous owner all is well. How could this be? I also notice water in number 4. I hope that's just a head gas get. Any ideas on this guys?

I don't know why what the previous owner says would have any value if you don't know the person well, or if what they say can't be proven. Some folks don't know anything about a motor and wouldn't know anything was wrong with one until it either quit or wouldn't start. Some folks don't tell the truth.......
If it's idling, I wouldn't worry much about the compression yet. Your gauge could easily be wrong, or the 88special could be a fairly low compression motor to start off with. Motors with bad compression will be hard to start and won't idle well at all. I WOULD worry about the water in cylinder 4. How do you know there's water in it? Is there water on the plug in that cylinder? If I found water, I would worry it might be elsewhere than just the cylinder. Cracked water jacket? Head gasket? Exhaust seals? It's unlikely if water is getting in a cylinder that it will run full throttle, and if it does it probably won't for very long.....
GOod luck with it,
JBJ

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Re: jonson 88 spl ? only 60 psi in all4 cyl and running fine

Thanks for the reply JB. I got it in the water today and it performed beautifully, I think. I hat WOT stats of 5400 rpm 40 mph. Idles fine at 1000 rpm. It jumps right up and sounds great. Starts on a turn and a push and feels like It has full power. I just don't get it, the 60 psi thing. I think possibly the gauge a borrowed. Ill try again w another. Water was seen on cyl head (little beads) and in cowel right below #4 when I was running with plug not all the way tight (tight enough-dont think too far into that one, HA). And your right about believing what people say. This is the same motor I ran on pure oil and seafoam b/c previous owner said fuel was on reserve main was empty (which was true so I oiled it up but had yet to gas up) but the lines are crossed under the Stern Box which had me for a while. WAY TOO MUCH SMOKE but the dang thing ran!!! I don't get that either. I must have a real beast here! Thanks