1982 70 HP Evinrude Metal in Gear Oil

79calglass

Cadet
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 1982 70 HP Evinrude.

The owner passed away and the nephew is selling it. The grandpa claims there are 20 hours. Unlikely, but definitely low.

I checked the compression, 150 all three cylinders. Starts, runs, shifts excellent. Pees well.

Two issues:

1. Oil drips from around the prop.
2. The gear oil was clean, like new, very hard to open the screw, so I assume it hasn't been touched in a long time. However, there were some fine metal shards stuck to the screw (magnetized). No water.
3. I can tell it was used in salt water, there is some evidence of corrosion and sand from the ocean. No idea if it was flushed or not, how could I tell? What issues could arise?

Are theses issues significant? Will they be an expensive repair? Or is this normal?

Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1982 70 HP Evinrude Metal in Gear Oil

Were you running it on a hose, if so the oil around the prop could be unburnt fuel mixture, a common event. Metal in the lower unit is never a good sign, I have seen some very small particles at times that never caused a problem. It's had to tell if there is any damage inside by your description. By looking at it you would not be able to tell if it was flushed. If the price is right, it might be worth the gamble to me.

79calglass

Cadet

I was running on a hose, yes. The price is good, it's hard to find these old motors for $1000 in good shape.

Can you tell me what the repair is if the shards are an issue? What would need to be rebuilt?

Thanks!

79calglass

Cadet

Also, I think this motor has been sitting for awhile. Is there any preventative maintenance that I should do? Probably need a carb cleaning?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You are going to have to pull and disassemble the lower unit to inspect it to find out where the metal is coming from. Until you find out what is making metal, you woun't know about cost. Maybe you could use the metal in the lower unit to get the price down to help with repairs if needed.