In desperate need of big twin wiring diagram!!

Marilyn49

Cadet
Hello all...

So here is my dilemma. This is my first Big Twin I have owned and am wanting to get it all wired up but I can't find a diagram. I bought the owners manual and service manual from Ken Cook. The service manual has a diagram in it but it's showing 6 volt. I looked on here and a few people said that 57 was the
first year of 12 volt which is what I am hoping especially because I am putting a radio in the boat and want everything to charge. My engine model number is #25028 and it is factory electric start in a '57
Reinell. Does everyone like wiring it up with the push button start and choke out or is there a way to install a key ignition or just a kill switch?? I have gotten a ton of info from everyone's info but I just never found anything on a 12 volt diagram. Any help to this newbie would be so very appreciated

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: In desperate need of big twin wiring diagram!!

According to the model number you do have a 1957 35hp. Did you get your manaul by using the model number?
You should be able to use the diagram you have for the starting circut, wiring is the same if I remember correctly. You should be able to wire it either way, with a switch or a push button, just follow the manual.

Marilyn49

Cadet

Thank you for the quick response! So I understand what you are saying about the starting with the push button. So do I need a choke solenoid to kill it? I know people say you can manually choke it out but since it's not a tiller and the push button is on the dash on my Reinell, I'm thinking having a kill on the dash would be the safest. I don't know where to get a choke solenoid and I can't seem to find a part number for it. And is there a linkage I need to run with the choke solenoid?? Thank you for all the help and taking the time to respond!!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

1957-1959 35hp Wiring with generator - small.jpg

Here's the wiring diagram. Just ignore the generator part if you don't have it.

Marilyn49

Cadet

Thank you samo! Now I just have to find a part number for a choke solenoid so I can find one and order it

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have the parts manual for the '57 E35hp if you want it but it does not say it's for a 25028, but it is for a Big Twin so should be the same. If yes, PM me your email address and request.

It does have the choke solenoid # but it's in several parts, not just one. You might want to try and find a used one, as I bet its not cheap new. Try some of these places for used:

sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
Trixie?s Landing, Bayville, NJ 732-269-5838
American Outboard www.americanoutboard.com
http://www.piratemarinesalvage.com/

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, samo is the best guy here for helping out with diagrams and parts. :D:D

Marilyn49

Cadet

I totally agree Zephyr! Samo has helped tremendously. Thank you all for being very inviting on here. What a great place this is!!:) Im calling Sea-Way and others today to try and find my choke solenoid and parts. Any other ideas are welcomed.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The choke solenoid was bad on my '69 Big Twin as well. The only ones I could find at the time were WAY more money than I was willing to pay. My solution was to order a 12V solenoid from Grainger. I used a "LEDEX 195206-228" which is Grainger part # 1KEK3. It is not a direct replacement; you will have to modify the housing and the connections a bit, but it is pretty easy to do and works very well. They get $34 for the solenoid.

Marilyn49

Cadet

Thats an idea I was thinking about, thanks geneseo. I was curious if anyone had had success with an automotive one. I think I remember reading a couple posts about it but cant remember if it worked or if they were bigger than the factory ones so they were hard to locate or just a lot of messing around. So would I be better off with paying the extra money for a factory one. And is it a complicated linkage to the choke or just a rod connected to the choke to pull it out and kill the motor...

Marilyn49

Cadet

Sorry for so many questions but does anyone have pictures of thier big twin on how the choke solenoid is mounted and the springs etc. attatched to it?? My Ken Cook manuals dont have a diagram for it. Any pics would really help, thanks