Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everybody, new to the outboard seen so need some tips. My dad and I recently bought this boat the friend whom we bought it from hasn't put it in water or possibly started in 3 or so years. It was cleaned with tooth picks and winterized every year. Now since it hasnt ran in god knows how long what should i do before starting it up? I figure atleast clean carb, change plugs clean gas tanks, new battery, and I'm hearing I should spray a penetrating oil in each cylinder from spark plug holes? The guys said this will prevent any rings from snapping. I definetly need advice on that idea!:confused:

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

ShapeShifter

Cadet
Re: Glastron v153 with johnson 85

For penetrating oil, try a product called Ring Free. I have never used it but I have heard good things about it. There are different application doses on the label. You definitely want to change the gear case oil and replace the water pump impeller too. Changing the impeller sounds like a pain but it is not that hard and is a must for a motor that has been sitting. In fact, doing it every season is recomended.

Sounds like you are on the right track with the other things.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you solve any problem. My first boat was a V153 so I'm glad to help. The link below will get you to a thread from the Engine FAQ's that covers your questions. That should get you started and please continue posting additional questions in this thread or start others as needed. Good luck with that great old boat and motor!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks both of you. I actually did some exploring and saw that thread. And your right it is extremely helpful. MY manual is enroute to my house AS OF RIGHT NOW!

Shapeshifter thanks for the recommendations. And feel free to keep giving more.

Willyclay anything I should know about this boat? You said you had one, what do I need to be aware of?

And one question before I go to bed, in the other awakening from the dead thread he recommends TCW-3 oil for the cylinders. Thoughts?

ShapeShifter

Cadet

TCW-3 is good for winterizing and sure wont hurt anything, but if you think you need a penetrating oil TWC-3 is not really intended for that. TCW-3 is also the type of oil you mix 50/1 with your fuel (in case you were not aware of that).

As for your hull, I am currently playing around with a Glastron V156 wich is very similar. One thing I can tell you about the V156 is that in the sump under the fuel tank area, in addition to the hole in the transome that drains the sump, there are also two rubber plugs on the walls of the sump. If your V153 has those plugs, uncork those puppies and tilt your boat way up to see what comes out of the holes.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Shapeshifter, I am working on a 1973 V156 right now too. Not really working on the boat, it's in good condition, just working on the motor. Just got thru soaking the carbs, and got one carb kit in today. The other two will be here tomorrow. I wasn't aware of the plugs in the sump area. I was wondering how the water in the compartment under the bow seats and bow storage area was supposed to drain. I'll check for that tomorrow. Good to know.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'd change the lower unit oil, paying close attention to the color and amount that comes out of the drain hole. Also, a new water pump impeller is in order if the engine has not run in years. Dump out 100% of any fuel left in the fuel tank. Once you get it started, check the powerhead temps with a laser temp gun. You may need to put a thermostat (vernatherm) in it looks like the powerhead is running either too cool (thermostat stuck open) or too hot (thermostat stuck shut) at idle. When you prime the fuel hose bulb to start it, make sure you have no fuel leaks under the cowling. Do a compression check to baseline the compression for future reference and check for spark on each plugwire. That's a classic boat!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all,

Talking about the sump. What should come out like you all are saying? And besides that anymore ideas besides "ring free" to use on the rings? I really need something I know many use so I feel confident. I don't want to break a ring!

Sorry for the questions all but I learned all of inboards and some of jet boats its time to get with the modern era, and this is my way of learning. (the inboard education was redoing a whole boat at my tech school)

Thanks all please feel free any suggestions are gladly taken note of.

ShapeShifter

Cadet

Hey all,

Talking about the sump. What should come out like you all are saying?

Ideally, nothing will come out. However if the boat has been sitting outside, it probably has collected rain water so there may be water that comes out. If it is alot of water, like many gallons, it could mean rotted stringers, floor, and transom. Fairly common with V156 models. I hope not....

Willyclay

Captain

Willyclay anything I should know about this boat? You said you had one, what do I need to be aware of?QUOTE]

Mine was a 1970 model that had been abused, stripped completely and left for dead. In addition to holes/damage to the cap and hull, the aft third of my stringers and deck/floor were rotten BUT my transom was solid as a rock. Fortunately, I had a neighbor who could/would do fiberglass repairs for beer and the first-rights-of-refusal to ski after the launch. Literally, we drug it out of a ditch and hauled it home in the back of his P/U. I kept that boat for almost ten years before the Admiral suggested that we needed a bigger boat.

The TCW-3 question relates to the current condition of the motor. Like the FAQ thread stated, with the spark plugs out turn the flywheel "by hand". If you feel any resistance to the rotation, your challenge will be to determine what is causing it. I have used WD-40 and PB Blaster to free up slightly rusted/stuck rings. But I also completely toredown and rebuilt one motor that was seized when I got it and did not have a clue about why. Turned out it was bad connecting rod bearings so I avoided additional damage by not attempting to start it. You just need to take one step at time, be patient AND let the forum members help you. These great old two-stroke motors don't die by themselves, they have to be murdered!

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ideally, nothing will come out. However if the boat has been sitting outside, it probably has collected rain water so there may be water that comes out. If it is alot of water, like many gallons, it could mean rotted stringers, floor, and transom. Fairly common with V156 models. I hope not....

Ok good to know for the past three years up until 2 weeks ago it was in his garage. So I'm almost positive everything is good. I hope...:rolleyes: by the way nice wooden boat from your picture anyway Shapeshifter.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked my V156 today, and there are holes where the plugs must've been, but there were no plugs in there. I guess that's a good thing, because I guarantee you that my dad didn't know those plugs were there, and he was the PO of this boat. No big deal tho, this boat was kept in a barn since he bought it in 1974. Too bad it wasn't under a cover, because there's no telling how many litters of cats were born in it. I got a wild hair a couple of weeks ago and decided to drag it out. Pressure washed it and it's actually in VERY good condition. Just a little uphostery work needs to be done on the seats. I guess the canvas top shrunk over the years too, because I can't stretch it to reach the snaps. While I was washing it out, I noticed that the water going into the storage compartment was running under the floor on one side, but not on the other. That's what got me wondering where it was going. Now I know. Thanks ShapeShifter.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Any pics Cowboy? What year, what color is the 153? Here's my '71 during better days:

Attachments

• Blaster1resize.jpg
    Blaster1resize.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0

ShapeShifter

Cadet

I checked my V156 today, and there are holes where the plugs must've been, but there were no plugs in there. I guess that's a good thing, because I guarantee you that my dad didn't know those plugs were there, and he was the PO of this boat. No big deal tho, this boat was kept in a barn since he bought it in 1974. Too bad it wasn't under a cover, because there's no telling how many litters of cats were born in it. I got a wild hair a couple of weeks ago and decided to drag it out. Pressure washed it and it's actually in VERY good condition. Just a little uphostery work needs to be done on the seats. I guess the canvas top shrunk over the years too, because I can't stretch it to reach the snaps. While I was washing it out, I noticed that the water going into the storage compartment was running under the floor on one side, but not on the other. That's what got me wondering where it was going. Now I know. Thanks ShapeShifter.

Hey no prob! Sounds like your going to have a nice litte boat! I love my V156!

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. That is a pic of a scratch built model of my first boat.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any pics Cowboy? What year, what color is the 153? Here's my '71 during better days:

I'll give you pics sunday. Were at the shore till sunday. When i get home I will get you all some pics. Its nice. I believe its a 68 or 69 with the motor being from 84. Its rusted bronze (looks red) with white. Somethings up with the bimminey top. Its like it shrinked. But i think if I would lay it out in the heat It'll stretch. Sunday dad and I will be back at it and once you all help me when i get the vin off it or w.e. to figure out the year were gonna by a manual and while were waiting for that to come in ill do lubing the rings, redo the the lower unit oil, hopefully then meet up with the previous owner (a good friend) switch the title and insurance and get all the other stuff hes giving us. Then i will be investing in a carb rebuild kit, possibly a new prop, resurface the old one, and go over all the wiring and invest in a good nav./fish finder combo. So this boat will definetly be done right the first time. We have all winter to get this baby done so everything will be looked at and re-looked at.

Please feel free to keep adding suggestions.... :D

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey no prob! Sounds like your going to have a nice litte boat! I love my V156!

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. That is a pic of a scratch built model of my first boat.

Ya I would kill to have a wooden boat. You can just see the craftsmanship. Absolutely amazing.

Now i see a owners manual and service manual which should i buy?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to buy the service manual but should i buy the owners manual?

ShapeShifter

Cadet

I downloaded the owners manual for my 1975 V156 from www.classicglastron.com. You should check out that website for lots of Glastron info.

The vin should be stamped on the outside starboard side of the transom. At least it is on the '75 hull.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya I'm pretty sure we have the '69 or '70 v153. we have the bimini, sides, and a black stripe on the bow. So I'm almost sure we have the 1970 model. Reason I think this is because we have the stripe I do not see the stripe on the '69 model. As for the johnson motor I think its a 1974.