Glastron v153 with johnson 85

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Glastron v153 with johnson 85

That motor doesn't have a tell-tale. It will only spit water out of the relief holes once the thermostats have opened.

You check compression with a compression tester screwed into each plug hole, one at a time, all plugs out, kick the starter for a few secs.

Willyclay

Captain

Here's a link to one of the "Top Secret" threads in the E/J Forum about compression testing.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=313963&highlight=compression

I have read other forum members' threads about adding a telltale to older motors. Will see if I can find one. OMC had a water temp gauge kit that used an external sensor on the cylinder head cover. I have one. Some members prefer a water pressure gauge instead. You have options but I can tell you that a telltale outlet plugged up with a bug, sand, grass, etc. will scare you. Gauges let you see a problem developing before an actual overheat.

I use moth balls inside and outside my boat. Seems to work for me. Only problem I ever had was a hunter/killer cat that left the remains in the boat. I will edit this post with the name of the stuff we use for ants. Good luck

EDIT: TERRO Ant Killer works for us. They also make a perimeter product but I have not tried it.

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alright thanks guys. I saw in another thread where ezmobee explained the whole water thing and why its a problem with the motors. What should i look for when i run the boat? it was coming out of the propellor and it had a steady **** stream on another hole?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this rain SUCKS! So all day a heavy mist. Cannot get nothing done yet. Just want to figure out this steering issue and move on to the next task.

Willyclay

Captain

Dev, your PM mailbox is full and I am unable to respond to your latest PM about installing the new helm & cable. I will dig out my Uflex instructions and respond as soon as your mailbox is unblocked. Bill

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My mailbox is now empty. Feel free to send instructions

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For all that care this weekend will the boats first splash. After putting in new steering, redoing the carpet, and some minor engine work (rebuilt water pump and fixed a 20 amp fuse) it's time to finally have some fun! Can't wait!

mgonyer

Cadet

For all that care this weekend will the boats first splash. After putting in new steering, redoing the carpet, and some minor engine work (rebuilt water pump and fixed a 20 amp fuse) it's time to finally have some fun! Can't wait!

so how did the splash go?... any new pics...

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry forgot to update! Well everything went pretty well, a little spitting and sputtering but we were alright for the most part. We did run into one problem, after being out for the first time (45 mins to an hour) she died. after a few things i opted to use Tow Boat USsince I bought there towing plan and they came out and towed us in. the 2nd time we went previously I dumped seafoam in the tank and into the cylinders and carb to decarbonize the engine and kind of figured it would help the spitting and sputters. also i dumped startron in the tank and to my knowledge the spitting is gone! as for my dieing problem it still remains. It seems like after 300 minutes it dies. I will be going full throttle and its as if i am slowing taking the throttle off slowly and then dies (I'm able to crank but nothing). Then it seems whatever it is after 15 minutes I'm able to start her back up again but the same problem occurs. With Dad and I both working 12 hour days and this latest heat wave not much has gotten done with the boat. Im really thinking its the fuel pump or fuel tanks. I recently found out if it was a coil like I originally thought it wouldn't slowly die, it would be full throttle and shut off. The reason why I thought the fuel tank is because I know they blow up like balloons (damn epa BS and no vents), and stupid me i didn't think to open the cap to release the pressure. With a weekend of relaxing coming up it will be the only time I have for the next 2 weeks. With our fire company carnival all week next week and saturday we have days of working 12's and not leaving the firehouse till 1 AM! I will do the pictures in another post..

Willyclay

Captain

The reason why I thought the fuel tank is because I know they blow up like balloons (damn epa BS and no vents), and stupid me i didn't think to open the cap to release the pressure.

I bought a new plastic tank from WallyWorld last year and it has a vent screw in the cap. Good luck!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Willyclay

Captain

How bout that Bill, mine tanks don't, also it turns out after some testing today the vapor lock was my problem.

Great news! It's usually the simple stuff. Now, if you can just find time to get her wet again.