Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Glastron v153 with johnson 85

I was told by multiple people including the PO and the guy down at the marina who Dad and I have had multiple conversations with to use WD-40? Also 2 questions, whats WOT? and when me and dad go to start her tomorrow How should the motor go, like straight up and down or on an angle? I imagine straight up and down is ideal?

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOT is Wide Open Throttle. And the engine should be vertical, as it is in the water when you run it.

Willyclay

Captain

WD-40 is fine but please turn that motor through a few revolutions by hand before you try the electric starter in case something is binding.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WD-40 is fine but please turn that motor through a few revolutions by hand before you try the electric starter in case something is binnjding.

Did the revolutions this morning and rotated like a charm. Sprayed again to sit all day today while I was at school and dad was at work. Hopefully we will start it today, or maybe just let her soak the oil. We shall see. hopefully i come back with good news and nothing to bad.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all just to clear up on the revolutions, Which way should i turn it? sounds stupid, but we guessed this morning.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

phew.... good thought so but wasn't positive. Turned good and letting it soak another night. Dad worked late and we were tired from sunday night football so pretty much just did a little here and there and called it a day. Sorry I haven't put up any photos since the last few but I will try to remember next time i have the cover off. I tell you what I would recommend those walmart covers to anyone looking for a cover, fits nice and good fabric.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

quick question, how much fuel does the 85 hp johnson use? we have 2 stroke 4 wheelers and dirtbikes but not exactly sure how much will be needed. The PO said (2) 6 gallon tanks lasted him all day on the lake. Since we will be fishing mostly on the bay using the currents I'm expecting to use less fuel? would i be safe to say 8-9 gallons will be used on a trip from 5 or 6 am to 4 or 5 pm?
If you're lucky. I'd carry at least a pair of 6 gal tanks.

I have a newer 90hp, same motor basically. Carry 9 & 6 gal tanks. Been known to go through all of it in a day. Not that I'm particularly proud of that, but 90 deg Crossflows aren't famous for being stingy on fuel.

Hey when you say using the currents I hope those currents are headed in the right direction ...

In all seriousness would you like to have the composite core from my '71 V153? I'm in the process of sawzalling the annoying surrounding fiberglass off. Core is all 'Tuff Stuff' and biax ...?

Attachments

• 37066_02182007stringers_004.jpg
    37066_02182007stringers_004.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • SHOEBOX.jpg
    SHOEBOX.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 41298_05062007MOFLO_004.jpg
    41298_05062007MOFLO_004.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're lucky. I'd carry at least a pair of 6 gal tanks.

I have a newer 90hp, same motor basically. Carry 9 & 6 gal tanks. Been known to go through all of it in a day. Not that I'm particularly proud of that, but 90 deg Crossflows aren't famous for being stingy on fuel.

Hey when you say using the currents I hope those currents are headed in the right direction ...

In all seriousness would you like to have the composite core from my '71 V153? I'm in the process of sawzalling the annoying surrounding fiberglass off. Core is all 'Tuff Stuff' and biax ...?

Haha I mean using the current to drift when fishing... And this is going to sound stupid but whats a core?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hay all, it's been a long week for us. Think were going to wait till the weekend to fire up the boat. Anything else I should do before we go to start it? Lubed the cylinders, did the lower unit oil, greased that zerk fitting, wiring was gone over, fuel filter installed, and gas tank ready. Saying that, anything else I should check or do?

BonairII

Commander

Why wait til weekend? Just try to fire it up now.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all,

HAVE EXCELLENT NEWS!!! SHE RUNS!!! And She runs really good. I thought carb and everything would be messed up and gunked but she fired up fine and idled perfect! she was "purring" like a kitten. 3 questions though:
1. The electric tilt isnt working? I see the little thing on the engine which looks like it pushes into a solenoid moving but the motor wont budge?
2. A. Steering is snug, real snug. How do i loosen it up?
B. Also i see a zerk fitting on the steering cable it seems to big for a regular grease gun, whats up with that?
3. The boat has where you can put this togule to start then warmed up you can put it to run. It wont start when the togule is on start, but will start on run?

Any help would be appreciated but Dad and I are really happy! :) Can't wait to get out on the water.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

haha thanks man. We really appreciate everyones help with making My dad and I's dreamcome true!:) And so you know why we didn't start it during the week my dad worked 18 hrs. the one day and the other day i had a huge report to do and then dad had to work late again and it rained.

But any help with the new problems would be very appreciated!

Willyclay

Captain

Great news Cowboy! Will try to help you with your Q's but remember, I am not an expert!

Q1. PT&T does not show up in the parts listing for your motor. My guess is it's like my 1968 model and was sold as an "Accessory Kit". Maybe another member has some info because I believe what you are looking at is the ram portion of a hydraulic cylinder and there should be two.

Q2A. Tight steering could be either the helm/cable, the motor swivel assembly or BOTH. You have to identify which one it is by disconnecting the steering link from the motor and testing each one separately. Report back with results for further input and recommendations.

Q2B. Back in the day when your boat was rigged, some steering cables had a grease zerk on the attachment nut that allowed grease to be injected into the tilt tube part of your motor. Without a picture, it will be difficult for anyone to help with the problem.

Q3. The "toggle" sounds like the "warm-up lever" on the remote control which slightly advances the timing for cold starts but again without a picture it is difficult to know for sure. The link below will display the parts listing for your motor. Look at the remote control section and report back with a diagram reference number or the OEM part number and maybe we can help you further.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1970&hp=85&model=85ESL70D

Real happy for you and your Dad that the motor seems to be healthy. Hang in there, it's usually the small stuff that trips you up!

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your gues about the "warm up lever" is correct. At the time I could not recall the name or term of it. Any reason why the boat wouldnt start while the lever was in the start position, but will start in the run position?

As for that zerk fitting heres a picture:View attachment 114351

This is in the stern under the little covering for the battery and gas tank. Its in line with the steering cable and before the steering goes outside to the motor.

Also I will have to check out the tilt and the steering again next time we mess around with it.

And Willy you may not be an expert but your close enought for me.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also the little bit of grease you will see surrounding the fitting is from my few attempts to pump grease in. dont be alarmed, it is not leaking or bad.

Willyclay

Captain

As for that zerk fitting heres a picture:View attachment 114351

Unable to access picture/attachment. Not sure if the problem is on my end or yours. Recheck the posting procedures.

EDIT: Woodonglass' thread on posting pictures - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=410147

My best guess for why the motor will not start in the "warm-up" position is the cable and motor linkage may be out of sync. Your manual should have a very specific set of procedures for adjusting the remote control cable, throttle linkage and ignition timing that forum members call "link & sync". Your motor may also have a "safety switch" to prevent starting your motor at too high an RPM which could be out of adjustment. This is the kind of stuff you just have to read and learn about your motor like the rest of us. The forum gurus like Joe Reeves and F_R went to the OMC factory schools and learned all the secret stuff.

I checked the BRP website but their parts listing for Accessories stops at 1972 so still not sure how to help you with the PT&T problem. Your factory manual should have a section on it. Can you scan a page or two that shows the problem and post it here? Good luck!

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

This is in the stern under the little covering for the battery and gas tank. Its in line with the steering cable and before the steering goes outside to the motor.

After reading this statement, I did some more checking of the parts diagram/list and determined that your motor does NOT have a tilt tube as part of the transom bracket. The part numbers for your clamp brackets are the same as my 1968 so I have a much better understanding of what you are looking at. First, you may have power tilt only without any power trim. That's what my Accessory Kit provided and it replaces one of the shock absorbers with a hydraulic cylinder. I will dig around in my "library" and see if I can find any documentation or pictures for you.

Next, without a tilt tube the steering cable must have a "support tube" for securing the cable nut. Grease in the support tube is necessary for easy movement of the telescopic ram end, so it sounds like you are on the right track. Finally, the support tube must be held in place in order for the cable to push or pull the motor's tiller arm. When I upgraded my V-153 to mechanical steering, I used what Teleflex calls a "transom clamp". It bolts onto the transom of your boat and the steering cable is clamped into place after adjustments are made to insure a full range of motion by the motor. I will look and see if I can find you a link about that type of installation.

From your description above, it sounds like you may have the alternative mounting system through a hole in the side of the splashwell that uses a threaded ball mounted in a flat plate. That support tube should be all-thread to make the steering adjustments. I'll see what I can find for you about that arrangement. See if this looks like what you have:

http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5691497--**********.312337721--view_id.192769

Us old folks really like pictures if you can post them. Close-ups of the power tilt and steering linkage would be great!

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I completely understand sorry for being slow to respond. With winter on the way and an abundance of wood to split in the driveway, thats all that has gotten done. The rest of the week the weather is going to be raining and were hoping this weekend to get the boat in the garage to do our weekly day devoted to the boat. So in a day or 4 days i should have those pictures but i will try and upload the ones i already have again. Thanks for all the help and the thing kinda looks like what you have sent through the link.