Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Also I bought the service manual on ebay for 30 bucks. The original johnson one!!!

Great! Although the factory service manuals are written for factory-trained technicians who have access to "special tools", it will be a valuable reference while you own that motor. Since you may not have received the manual before the dealer sold you the gear lube, hopefully they gave you the correct stuff; Premium Blend (Type C). Here's a link to another forum thread that discusses your motor's hydro-electric gearcase, Type C oil and the control switch. Information is power!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=429540&page=2

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Probably a good idea to put on fuel filter in the fuel line(if you don't already have one). Just cleaned out my bow mount tank today and installed a see-through fuel filter just in case there some crud still in the tank. It's a $7 insurance policy IMO.

Ya I was thinking using a fuel/water seperator??? because as of now the only filter on the motor is a screen in the fuel pump. Is the seperator also a filter??

WILLY, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=2313408696268932617

^thats what my service manual looks like but mine is brand new in the packaging still.
Also the guy at the dealer that helped me he gave me this> http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/Johnson-/-Evinrude-Premium-Blend-Gear-Case-Lube-775609/

Also a good sign, when I drained the old fluid no milkiness or metal shards!!

Also I lifted the boat making sure theres no water in hull or anything and we got only an 1/8th of a cup or less water!!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Didn't get nothing done today but shop around on ebay and boatersworld. Then we took the 3 hour drive to our shore home (its not a mansion, and were not stuck up, or rich) to pull that boat home and baton down the hatches for hurricane Irene. Leaving tomorrow morning.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the old battery is toast. And i think one tank is shot. What i thought was just gunk is actually rust mixed in. I'm trying another method using 2 stroke gas and the stones... so we shall see.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Service manual just came in. Got the prices from napa with my grandfathers discount for working there the cheapest one is 53 doll hairs. The middle one is 67 doll hairs and the most expensive one is 85 dollars. All only come with a 3 month warrenty. I'm almost sure I can find a cheaper battery with better warranty somewhere else. Anyone know of good places to get them? I heard Sears is really good.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Huh i asked when i went there and the guy said they didnt carry marine batteries?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For a battery that will used for starting the boat what should i get? I was planning on getting a 12 volt marine deep cycle. After some research people are saying use a starting battery, use a car battery, and ect... What do I really want?

BonairII

Commander

Get yourself a deep cycle marine battery.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya thats what I figured... Still getting hit by the storm and school starts tomorrow so nothing new with the boat yet.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all new update. Bought a fuel filter, battery, and boat/outboard cover. We also bought a cheap battery maintainer at harbor freight. Hoping to crank her over sometime this week or during the weekend. The rain is going to be steady all week until we get a break on thursday through the the weekend. Till then I'm still soaking and shaking the tanks...

Any opinions on a solar battery charger and where can i get it? (looking for something under 100?)

Willyclay

Captain

Till then I'm still soaking and shaking the tanks...

Any opinions on a solar battery charger and where can i get it? (looking for something under 100?)

IMHO you are taking an unnecessary risk by re-using those rusty fuel tanks if you do not re-coat the insides. The motorcycle guys have products (POR-15 or Kreem) for restoring the old classic tanks but it is pricey. You might just want to pop for a couple of new tanks and not risk introducing rust into your carbs and fuel pump. If you stick with the old tanks, then please install a good filter before the motor.

My only comment on the solar battery charger is "why"? Will the boat be stored some place where no household AC is available? With a battery box and screw-on marine battery cable connectors, it is pretty easy to remove a battery and take it to a charging location. Never owned or used a solar charger but have a bud who did and almost lost his Catalina 27 sailboat when the charger malfunctioned and started a fire. Good luck!

Last edited:

BonairII

Commander

Get yourself a good marine charger(not a basic auto battery charger). Auto chargers won't charge a marine battery to it's full capacity.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMHO you are taking an unnecessary risk by re-using those rusty fuel tanksQUOTE]

The fuel tank is rust free. Because it was full to the brim of fuel till the PO last took the boat out. I understand your concern but I dont have the money to buy new tanks at the moment and i just want to here her fire. Also It seems just more sensible, economical, and efficient to use a solar charger?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get yourself a good marine charger(not a basic auto battery charger). Auto chargers won't charge a marine battery to it's full capacity.

Great suggestion.. But if you could clarify do you mean a marine battery charger or marine battery maintainer? By using the word "Auto" do you mean "automatically" or "vehicle"?

BonairII

Commander

I meant automobile charger. Marine batteries are deep cycling batteries and need to be charged differently than automobile batteries.
Google search marine vs automotive batteries. Tons of info on marine batteries, chargers on the web.
I bought a nice Schumacher charger at Wally world for $50

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the answer and recommendation.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all, yesterday dad and I made some progress. Fixed 2 wires, found out the horn and lights work, mad a custom setup so know water will lay on the cover (came together perfect and looks good.), also we sprayed the cylinders. Last night we went to wally world and bought a new gas tank. It's nice and built good (thick plastic) but the only complaint i have is it doesn't have a guage. But i figure we will still be able to see the level since the mix is dark.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

quick question, how much fuel does the 85 hp johnson use? we have 2 stroke 4 wheelers and dirtbikes but not exactly sure how much will be needed. The PO said (2) 6 gallon tanks lasted him all day on the lake. Since we will be fishing mostly on the bay using the currents I'm expecting to use less fuel? would i be safe to say 8-9 gallons will be used on a trip from 5 or 6 am to 4 or 5 pm?

Willyclay

Captain

Last night we went to wally world and bought a new gas tank. It's nice and built good (thick plastic) but the only complaint i have is it doesn't have a guage. But i figure we will still be able to see the level since the mix is dark.

Attaboy! Those gas tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Your Mark One eyeball will keep you out of trouble. Estimated fuel consumption is 10% of rated horsepower which in your case would equal 8.5gals/hour at WOT but variables like propellor and engine performance affect that. Maximum range is achieved by using a momentary blast of WOT to get the boat on-plane then reducing the throttle to the point just above the speed where the boat begins to fall off of plane. If no tach and/or speedometer, you will learn by observation. A lot of boaters use a "one-third" rule of thumb for fuel supply onboard: !/3 going out, 1/3 coming back and 1/3 for moving around. I managed my boating days with three separate six gallon tanks. Some use a three gallon tank as their reserve. You will get the hang of it. What did you spray the cylinders with?