Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Don't think I'm gonna be able to get those pictures. Raining pretty good outside.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 109290View attachment 109291

The first set of pictures I posted was the day we went and bought her

This 2nd set is the night she was brought home and Dad and I vaccuming and cleaning her out.

I got out long enought today to take a picture of the plate on the motor that says serial number and model number. Well now I found out apparently the photo is too big..

But I will still put the numbers on: Serial number-j3332205 model number-85ESL-70D..

I'm hoping now somehow with the serial number find out the exact year. If you all know where I can find out or know how to figure out the number system it would be extremely hopeful!!

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a pretty sweet boat you got there. A little bit of cleaning up and it'll be awesome. I would just use Ring Free as previously stated. I know a lot of people use/trust it. Other then that just change the waterpump, clean (and maybe rebuild if needed) the carbs. Also drain the gear oil. When you drain it look for water and metal shavings in the oil. If you don't have either of those then you're in pretty good shape. Looks like you're going to have a nice boat for short money!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure what happened to my face in the 2nd picture...:facepalm:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a pretty sweet boat you got there. A little bit of cleaning up and it'll be awesome. I would just use Ring Free as previously stated. I know a lot of people use/trust it. Other then that just change the waterpump, clean (and maybe rebuild if needed) the carbs. Also drain the gear oil. When you drain it look for water and metal shavings in the oil. If you don't have either of those then you're in pretty good shape. Looks like you're going to have a nice boat for short money!

Thanks Borgey, And the pictures dont do her justice, we just got done vaccuming in those pictures so the seats are still dirty and windows a mess, They are no longer like that. Also we will be painting the fake wooden dash and steering wheel.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow I love this website. The motor is a 1970. So my guess is the boat is a 1970 like I thought it was and I'm also now guessing the that the johnson is the stock motor? But i thought Glastrons came with a Mercury? Anybody know if this is could be the stock motor?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this ring free made by yamaha? And if that is the ring free ya'll are talking about just dump it in the cylinders? it says its a fuel additive? :confused:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Willyclay

Captain

But i thought Glastrons came with a Mercury? Anybody know if this is could be the stock motor?

In 1970, boat dealers typically sold the boat with the brand of motor they handled because the motor manufacturers had not started buying up the boat companies and mating the brands at the factory. Yamaha changed all that. Your Johnson could very well be original to the boat. Check the inside and outside of the transom for any signs of previous motor-mounting bolt holes that are different than the current ones. If not, that's another vote for your motor although it could have just been a JohnnyRude swap in which case all the holes would match-up. I am enjoying my trip down Glastron lane. As far as your boat being a 1970 model, my Glastron placards on the each side of the hull were different than yours with the Glastron name displayed on a football-shaped piece of plastic with red and blue panels. I got them directly from Glastron. Keep digging!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm almost sure the boats a 1970 model, but since I found the old boat registration in the glove box it says its a 1969. Do they make boats the sixth month or later a year earlier like a car? Ex: a new 2011 dodge ram 2500 made for the 2011 model was actually made in (d/m/y/) 5/6/10. That would be six months early.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spent all day on the glastron. Fixed a couple of wires (who electrical tapes 2 bare wires together?). Sure it is only for a horn but come on.. :facepalm: Then washed it, vaccumed and cleaned up the seats, Removed the steering wheel and sanded and painted it black, put that back on, cleaned the center cap thing in the middle of the steering wheel, then I cleaned up the stern a little better (a little excessive on the grease), then went and cleaned the original stock bimmini and rear and side canvas', then dad came home and we attempted to put them on and we did(I say attempted because we broke a rotted zipper and one of the key buttons on front of the bimmini isnt looking so hot so when she goes to get her custom cover that all will be fixed. Then i noticed on the ignition box 3 of the wires were looking yuck so we fixed them and by the time we were done with that it was dark so i couldnt get any good photos. Also dad and I went over all the chrome with Eagle One's Nevr Dull. THAT STUFF IS AMAZING!!! Tomorrow I will be getting the fuel tanks, ears, and lower unit oil, and spline grease. What kind of grease should i get for the spline? Also I see a zerk fitting (grease fitting) on the upper part of the lower unit. Any special grease for that?

I did get a picture of something I thought was cool.... But keeps saying file is to big WTF! It was all the registration stickers for Pennsylvania from 1988 to 1996...

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also I found out the clock on the dash panel was a whined up and god dang it actually works!!:D

ShapeShifter

Cadet

Also I found out the clock on the dash panel was a whined up and god dang it actually works!!:D

Wow! I wonder if it keeps good time or just ticks for tickin's sake.

Speaking of the dash, my Glastron came with merc from the dealer. It still had the Mercury tachometer when I got the boat. Does your tach have any kind of brand name markings on it? That could be a clue as to what the original motor was.

You might be able peel that faux wood grain off the fiberglass dash. I peeled it off my 1975 with no worries. Your 1970 dash may be clean underneath.

helm1.jpg

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! I wonder if it keeps good time or just ticks for tickin's sake.

Speaking of the dash, my Glastron came with merc from the dealer. It still had the Mercury tachometer when I got the boat. Does your tach have any kind of brand name markings on it? That could be a clue as to what the original motor was.

You might be able peel that faux wood grain off the fiberglass dash. I peeled it off my 1975 with no worries. Your 1970 dash may be clean underneath.

View attachment 109585

Well the clock is keeping perfect time. Its going on running for day and a half. I think it is a very cool electricaless feauture. As for the dials I'm not sure I will have to check. Also looks like I may be able to do tjust that with the dash. we shall see.

I picked up the two 6 gallon tanks today from the PO one was still was full! haha so i tried getting it all out. still a little left. Anyway to fully clean the tanks? Ones looking a little yucky maybe rusty?

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well today went alright I bought the lower unit oil and some 2 cycle oil. The Dealer (very nice group of guys) gave me the stupid plug gasket/o-ring things. Also he gave some good advice on different things. I came home and first thing on my list to do was get the old gas out and clean the gas tanks. I used 1.5 cans of carb cleaner and some rocks, kept shaking and rattling. Now they are sitting outside till tomorrow. Hopefully they turn out good. After i empty the carb cleaner out and rocks should i wash them with water?

Also I'm going to look on the internet but I forget how many ounces the lower unit takes, (the dealer even told me... was it 26 ounces?) so if anyone knows help a fellow boater out!:D

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bought some little stuff today. Still soaking the tanks. Did the lower unit oil. And yet had enough time to cut the grass and cover the pool and baton down the hatches for this hurricane about to hit the east coast. I'm hoping the tanks clean up good because 50 bucks at walmart for a new one. I'm going to check ebay tonight.

Also the battery might actually be charging!!! So then I dont have to buy a new one right away but before i take the boat out i definetly will. I just hope this batttery will allow me to try and crank her over!!!! :)

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also I bought the service manual on ebay for 30 bucks. The original johnson one!!!

BonairII

Commander

bought some little stuff today. Still soaking the tanks.

Probably a good idea to put on fuel filter in the fuel line(if you don't already have one). Just cleaned out my bow mount tank today and installed a see-through fuel filter just in case there some crud still in the tank. It's a $7 insurance policy IMO.