Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you replace throttle cable on Johnson Outboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you replace throttle cable on Johnson Outboard?

Have a Johnson Outboard on a 20' Switzer Open Bow. The engine doesn't engage for almost 30 degree movement on the throttle handle, so I'm assuming the cable has to be changed. The previous owner said that he had the mechanic adjustment, but he indicated that it could not be adjusted anymore.

Does anyone have a YouTube link or maybe some pics of how one would change it? I am mechanically inclined, but this is my first boat.

Re: How do you replace throttle cable on Johnson Outboard?

A model# would help.

Comment

J150stlcur

Comment

30* sounds about right to shift into gear. The rest should be pushing the throttle cable to increase engine rpm. If your rig shifts to forward (or reverse) smoothly, then moves far enough to open the carb buttterflies fully it is probably ok
        All of my vehicles are "works in progress". I choose to buy things I think I can repair. Not until I put work into something does it become mine. I hate selling "my" things. I would rather give them away.

Comment

Sometimes it won't go in to reverse, and the previous owner claims the mechanic already adjusted it for that reason and told him that the cable should be replaced if it happens again

Comment

Working...
          X