Power trim/tilt fit onto '74 V4?

Guy_GT150

Recruit
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I have found some information but it's not really clarified the situation much. I'm a bit of a newbie in this area so forgive my ignorance - this probably won't be my first post on this engine!

I have what I believe to be a 1974 Johnson 85hp outboard (model no 85ESL74B) on what we think is a 1980 Glastron GT150, both of which need some restoration work.

The engine currently has no power tilt/trim, but having seen how useful it is, I would really like to add it as part of the rebuild.

I've read that units for these engines are extremely rare, but I keep finding units for '78 - '92 units coming up. I thought the basic design of this engine didn't change until much later than '78, so would these later units really not fit?

Is there any way of making them fit? I don't really want to put an aftermarket jack plate on as the ones I've seen don't look very nice.

All the best

Guy

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim/tilt fit onto '74 V4?

The V4 power trim was considered the "early" version up through 1976-with the trim rams mounted outside the transom brackets. In 1977it changed to the more modern style where the single trim unit nested completely between the transom brackets. (You probably are thinking about the fact that the newer trim systems came in both a 2-wire and 3-wire system.) You can check out the factory exploded parts diagram for the early trim system on the Bombardier factory website: epc.brp.com If you look for the 1974 trim system under the engine, it is not there. Was considered an "accessory" that year-so you'll have to look under the accessory tab to find it. It's almost easier to go to the 1976 85 hp engine to locate the trim parts list/diagram. It's this early system you need and it has not been made for many years, so parts are increasingly difficult to find. You'll need the mechanical parts as well as some electrical parts, including the solenoid. While very different in appearance, the system does work well. One of the trim rams has an electrical connection for a dash-monted trim gauge. It might be easier to purchase a complete junk engine for just the trim system.