1986 evinrude 8 hp fair price?

jim046

Recruit
Hello,

Could someone please tell me what a 1986 evinrude 8 hp is worth? A friend of a friend is selling one for $500. It is in fair to good condition but has been repainted on the outside. The motor fires right up and seems to run good. I thought $500 was too much for a 25 year old 8hp outboard. Thanks

Jim

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1986 evinrude 8 hp fair price?

Hello,

Could someone please tell me what a 1986 evinrude 8 hp is worth? A friend of a friend is selling one for $500. It is in fair to good condition but has been repainted on the outside. The motor fires right up and seems to run good. I thought $500 was too much for a 25 year old 8hp outboard. Thanks

Jim

Welcome! $500 is too much for a "fair to good" 8hp. Obviously local market conditions/availability/time of year have an impact as well as age/condition. I guess id be a buyer around $300-350. Maybe less depending on the particulars. Around here there are a ton of under 10hp motors. If i were you id look at the late 70's, around here a nice one would be about 250.

moldeck

Seaman Apprentice

500 seems about right in Mi. it may be an average price. Think a good deal would be 350 to 400.. check craigs list..

jbjennings

Captain

Hello,

Jim

I would put it on my boat and take it for a test run if your friend will let you. If it runs good at all speeds, has a straight prop, etc., then I'd take it home, check the lower unit for water intrusion. If the lower unit oil is good and it runs good at all speeds, then that motor is well worth $500. You can find lots of motors in that hp range for around $300, but they usually need work. Work= $
Since it's your friend and you can likely test it on your boat and see for sure if it's a good motor, I'd definitely consider it for $500 if it passes all the tests.
JMO,
JBJ

kristerbjorn

Recruit

I have an 88 ev 8hp . I would not spend 500 on a used one. Parts can be a real pia to find. You will have to be resourceful. There are a lot of brittle plastic parts that break easily. You must be extremely careful when working on the engine to ensure you do not set off a chain of bad events. If you are creative, you can do some things with epoxy to replicate the broken parts, but it takes time.

go online and check parts availability. Def pull compression, check lower unit as stated above and i would inspect driveshaft.