Johnson 175 broken strter bolt hole boss fix suggestions. pics.

jim1648

Cadet
So I was looking for a small gas leak yesterday and noticed this in the cowling.
IMAG0199.jpg
it is off the block where the starter bolts on. Here are some more pics.
IMAG0198-1.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg
IMAG0201.jpg
I imagine welding is the right answer, but its close to a gasket surface, I was quoted 150 to have it welded, and I'm not sure if any or how much of the electrical stuff on the motor I would have to remove to avoid fried stuff. I couldn't find the bolt that came out of it and I'm not sure how long its been broken. And honestly it still starts just fine. The way the starter spins I don't believe its under alot of stress, but it is broke... Could I get away with some jb weld or some better 2 part epoxy here? I'm looking to get out of this as easy as possible, both on me and my wallet. Thanks, Jim.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 175 broken strter bolt hole boss fix suggestions. pics.

You could try the JB weld or marine tex, if it don't work you can always have it welded.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If its not going to be welded, epoxy would be my next choice. I have epoxied tractor differential cases back together that cracked in two. Still in service years later.

To the point, I would get some high grade epoxy, not the stuff in the home centers (they are full of fillers and thickeners that reduce the effectiveness). Get some from an industrial supply. Then epoxy a stud into the broken boss and put back the broken off piece too.

Another good solution is to drill the boss deeper, tap threads (taps are inexpensive and easy) and use a longer bolt. Epoxy back the broken piece, then drill out the threads on the broken part so they are not being used/stressed.

jim1648

Cadet

If its not going to be welded, epoxy would be my next choice. I have epoxied tractor differential cases back together that cracked in two. Still in service years later.

To the point, I would get some high grade epoxy, not the stuff in the home centers (they are full of fillers and thickeners that reduce the effectiveness). Get some from an industrial supply. Then epoxy a stud into the broken boss and put back the broken off piece too.

Another good solution is to drill the boss deeper, tap threads (taps are inexpensive and easy) and use a longer bolt. Epoxy back the broken piece, then drill out the threads on the broken part so they are not being used/stressed.
That is a great idea! I didn't think about a stud. There is more hole after the broken part but, I don't think a standard tap would go that deep.. If I can't get to that hole with a tap should I drill it out to accept the stud or turn the thread off the stud to slide it in?