Milky White Substance in Fuel Tank?

seadog411

Cadet
Guys:

I have had problems with my boat all summer! Bad relay on tilt motor, cracked cylinder. Boat ran fine a couple weeks ago, but last weekend I couldn't get it to idle. Took it back to my Excellent Mechanic and he said I had water in my gas tank.

Today, I drained the tank and the picture shows what was in the tank.

I have a plastic tank, mix my own oil & gas.

Any ideas what this stuff is and how I can avoid it in the future????

Thanks

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Milky White Substance in Fuel Tank?

I'd say water for sure.

seadog411

Cadet

Any idea how it could have gotten in my tank??? Ethanol Related??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It could have gotten in with air, then been adsorbed by the ethanol. StaBil for Ethanol will help control that, but only a water separating fuel filter will keep it out of your engine.

seadog411

Cadet

It could have gotten in with air, then been adsorbed by the ethanol. StaBil for Ethanol will help control that, but only a water separating fuel filter will keep it out of your engine.

The thing is, I put StaBil ethanol treatment every time I fuel - never go without. I pulled at least a gallon of the milky substance out of of the tank. The Mechanic, who I trust implicitly, said ethanol was most likely the culprit, but given the amount I removed, I wonder. He checked the fuel cap and said that it looks fine. The tank is empty and dry - I think I am going to just pay the premium for Ethanol free fuel.

Is it worth it??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's possible you just got a load of bad gas with water already in it.